Thread: L83 2 Step

Tuner in Training

L83 2 Step

I installed the 2 step it is a MSD 87331. the instructions state to hook up the blue activation wire to the brake pedal.
    Are people just doing that or are they also installing a on/off switch in line with it?
    I ask because what happens if you are driving and press the brake the 2 step would come on.
    Next question is what in the tune should I change for the 2 step to work without throwing engine code?
    I asked MSD and they didn't seem to know. first he said no just the wire on brake input then I said what happens after a high speed drive and I get on brakes. His answer was 2 step works. so he said add switch.
    So you are system, two foot brake and gas then let up brake and launch, as you go down track switch off then you can brake..... Sounds wrong.... Any other ways?

If it matters I have a triple disc billet stall converter 2800rpm and a CDT stage 3+ trans. l83 with 76/75 turbo.

Thanks Guys

Tuner in Training
    zero no one has anything on this? Even shops say no idea or have to see it. I would rather learn. But no one has any info listed on this. Please help.

Potential Tuner
    Would you not just add a push button switch to the shifter, or steering wheel,
    That way you can apply the 2 step in first gear , let go of the push button switch and grab gears, then its a one shot setup, don't even add it to the brakes, (MSD probably has automatic transmission in mind)
    Best reaction time is leaving off the button IMO

Not familiar how it would work on the Gen 5 stuff, but that's how its wired on my race car
    Last edited by Steve899; 06-22-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I'm running mine to a switch and then to the brake pedal but it usually stays on didn't change anything in the tune though

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like for safety reasons the momentary switch is a good way to go. the msd has two inputs to activate the 2 step but you can only have one at a time hooked up. one is just a positive nad one is a negative input. says you can wire it to a manual or automatic.

Issue now is tuning. No one knows how to tune for it. There must be a way. I see a option for launch control. Also I was thinking if the misfire table can be modified to not read under 3100rpm. the 2 step is set to 3000, stall is a 2800.

Somewhere I read or so I thought the factory launch control turns off the power to the o2 sensors and changes fuel a little and lets you rev higher without moving. Sounds like what I want in a 2 step.

Thank you

Tuner in Training
    Ok I have the answer.

People run a manual on off switch to act like a master safety and use the brake pedal. Or then have a momentary switch. I like the to set it off the brake so I can launch with it. so I will wire that up next.

As far as tune, I somewhat have the answer. You can just turn of misfire report believe that is p0300. Or some in the mustang world are turning of the misfire test for 3200rpms and lower and the 2 step to any lower setting then 3200. I do not see that option so I will try to turn off the code first and see what that gives me.

Potential Tuner
    Is there anything else to change in the tune ?
    I set mine up turned off missfire report and I'm only getting 2 psi of boost..
    I have l83 with a 6 speed ..

Tuner in Training
    Sorry didn't see this I have same engine and turbo and 2 step. No issues I turned of the misfire under 3100rpm and not the code. Works fine no issues. As far as boost....depends on many things but have to say without smaller turbo or more stall I can't see a ton of boost on say a 76/75. And 3k or less. But log it and look at boost sky rocket right after you let of brake. And are full throttle in 1st with 6 speed.