Thread: Boosted Jeep 6.4...

Tuner in Training

Boosted Jeep 6.4...

Hi, I need some advice here, I've been fine tuning the cruising and idling fuel trims, I think I have everything almost figured out with the VE tables, since the NN was a pita to make it work 100% with the Whipple, Injectors and Stage 3 cam (it was good at idle and bad cruising or good cruising and bad idling with NN on)...

The Grand Cherokee has kooks long headers, a 2.9l whipple, afe intake and NSR N/A Stage 3 cam (it's supposed to be good up to 7psi, and I don't want more psi since the engine is stock... I'm not sure if the fuel injectors are 60 or 65, are the ones that came with the supercharger kit, P/N 109958 white cap single sprayer... I didn't had the fuel injector data so I had to calibrate it myself with the LTFT & STFT math...

I need someone experienced with the boosted 392 to take a look at my log and hpt file, need some feedback if I can log a WOT run with it, I have 3 weeks with the supercharger installed and I've never put it into wot to look at the AFR, it goes down to 11~10 at 50% throttle when driving from a stop or red lights...

So, the real question here is, the WOT fueling is calculated by VE tables but the pcm won't have a LTFT or STFT math to look up when WOT since that shouldn't work at WOT right?

The FA Stoich is 0.0714 (14:1) and the power enrich is 0.0156 (aiming for 11.5)... but this all depends on a good VE and Fuel injector calibration... how can I calibrate those at WOT???

Thank you for reading all this...

Log and Hpt file are attached...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    5th Gear WOT (Super Rich) & Regular driving from work to home...
    Last edited by cdquevedo; 05-13-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Doesn't look too bad but needs some work. I like leaner and less timing on the boosted 392s. Will make as much or more power and seem to hold up really well that way. Injector duty cycle was getting high and only at 5k RPM but it also doesn't need near as much fuel as it had. You might end up in the 90s at higher RPM even leaner though.

Message me at Facebook.com/TBRTuning or email me at [email protected] if you want me to dial it in for you remotely

Advanced Tuner
    I noticed a few oddities when I had a browse over your log file (driving from work to home).

Big one that stands out is your commanded throttle actuator (blade) starts to oscillate and not open any further than ~43% once your PR >0.90, even when your pedal is still increasing (01:34.199 mark in the log). The total airflow drops significantly once this happens (hitting some sort of airflow limit?).
    However, all seems fine when you cross your pedal WOT threshold, which ultimately opens the throttle blade to maximum (76.1%) regardless.

This will make it hard to creep up to WOT as the blade will either be capped at ~43% or shoot straight up to 76% (light switch effect).

Seems like you have recorded knock under WOT in that log, so you might what to dial the timing back there.

Tuner in Training
    thanks, I'll try that today, I saw the knock too, pulling 5 and 8 degrees... il take a couple degrees and lean it out a little bit...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrtuning View Post
    Doesn't look too bad but needs some work. I like leaner and less timing on the boosted 392s. Will make as much or more power and seem to hold up really well that way. Injector duty cycle was getting high and only at 5k RPM but it also doesn't need near as much fuel as it had. You might end up in the 90s at higher RPM even leaner though.

Message me at Facebook.com/TBRTuning or email me at [email protected] if you want me to dial it in for you remotely
    If I feel that is not improving as I work I'll contact you... thanks...

Tuner in Training
    I felt it like it should today... but I still have to fine tune the WOT fueling and see if it needs to advance a couple degrees at the PE table...

the throttle at 86.3% is normal? there is a way to make it open 100%?

I don't see the injector duty cycle in the log, how did you manage to see it? @tbrtuning

The buttdyno makes me feel that now I'm going the right direction...

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Tagging someone doesn't give notification here so I just noticed that. Injector duty cycle is calculated from pulse width and RPM so as long as you are logging both of those you can have duty cycle display in your graphs or charts when you review your log. It seems that HP Tuners has the math in the background already done for things like that. Boost is another one. MAP - Baro. You don't log boost pressure but log those two things and it will calculate it for you.