Thread: e38 injector driver limitations

e38 injector driver limitations

Hello all,

Looking for some technical information on the e38 injector driver limitations. Specifically, are they limited by resistance maximum/minimum which prevents them from running high/low resistance injectors?

Or is it an issue with current draw and the driver is limited to ~1A?

Reason for asking...I am in a pickle with trying to run 16 injectors due to fuel need for port injection AND injectors above a 6-71 supercharger in a plate design. Yes, I can run 8 larger injectors in the plate, but then there is concern for lean/rich cylinders. Yes, I could run the supercharger 'dry' but that introduces MUCH more heat and inefficiency, which is further complicated by the lack of an intercooler/brick.

My thought is to do paired injectors in parallel with added resistors so the e38 PCM 'sees' the same resistance as a single set. In doing so, what am I missing and not considering in this idea?

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC
    Last edited by rcodea1; 10-21-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas whom I can turn to for information like this?

~Ryan
    Charleston, SC

If the injectors will still work reliably in parallel with half (or less than half if there's a resistor) the power they'd get from the original 1 injector/1 driver circuit, then it'll work fine. If they won't, it won't. At some point you have to decide if you're the type of person who puts their head down and tries it and maybe burns up some parts but eventually learns something new, or the type who pulls out the wallet and buys a solution like a 16-injector-capable ECU.

Up front, I can't answer the limitations on the injector drivers for E38. What I would offer is there's likely a difference between 'can you' and 'should you'. We were told that you couldn't run 16 injectors on P01 a fair few years back on a setup exactly as you're intending (8 up top and 8 port). We gave it a shot and it worked quite well. How long would it last - dunno? Setup was changed for following season so never found out. Give it a shot, ECU is relatively cheap and your curiosity will be satisfied. I suspect longevity might be an issue but I don't have hard evidence to support that.