Thread: New Here! Need advice on where to ask for help

Tuner

New Here! Need advice on where to ask for help

Hello,

So I am new to the HP tuner world and really tuning in general. I have always been a "Hardware" guy not a "software" guy! I am look for help on where I might be able to find a base tune to start with for my LS swap. The Truck is a 99 Suburban 4x4 with a 4l60e. The engine is a Gen3 6.0 that started its life as a lq4 but I rebuilt it with Gen4 rods and flat top pistons for an ly6. I used 799 heads and a BTR truck stage 2 cam. I am thinking i might just have to start with a LS2 base tune and segment swap the trans to a 4x4 4l60e trans. but wasn't sure what forum to ask for help in locating that? It looked like the Gen3 gm board was mainly troubleshooting. I looked through the repository but might just not know what to look for. I am trying to research as much as possible to keep from bricking a pcm.

Thanks

Andrew

What computer did you get with it?

1999 surburbans still use the old vortec computer which is different than the P01 computer that will need to run that 6.0.

Whatever you do, just start with a 6.0 tune file. Whether you need to copy that information in or it's already a 6.0 file to begin with. Then make all your changes from there. You'll need a wideband o2 sensor for logging air fuel ratio's as well.

Also with being a swap you will need/want 58psi of fuel pressure, so perhaps an upgraded pump. And if you didn't purchase larger fuel injectors, you will need to do that. The factory 6.0 injectors are only 25lb/hr, you'll want 31lb/hr or larger to support a cammed 6.0 engine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What computer did you get with it?

1999 surburbans still use the old vortec computer which is different than the P01 computer that will need to run that 6.0.

Whatever you do, just start with a 6.0 tune file. Whether you need to copy that information in or it's already a 6.0 file to begin with. Then make all your changes from there. You'll need a wideband o2 sensor for logging air fuel ratio's as well.

Also with being a swap you will need/want 58psi of fuel pressure, so perhaps an upgraded pump. And if you didn't purchase larger fuel injectors, you will need to do that. The factory 6.0 injectors are only 25lb/hr, you'll want 31lb/hr or larger to support a cammed 6.0 engine.
    Sorry for leaving out a lot of info! I am running a 411 pcm. The 96 fuel pump is supposed to be sufficient (we will see) and I am running a holley Fuel pressure regulator set at 58psi I believe. I am running a tbss intake with a Warr DBC throttle body. The cam is kinda a baby cam, they say it will even run on stock springs but I upgraded to Pac-1218. I have a Innovate Wideband in the car but I didn't buy the pro feature to hook it up to the Hp tuners.