Thread: Can someone look this over and help me out

Potential Tuner

Can someone look this over and help me out

I have a 1970 olds 442 that I put a sbe 2000 camaro LS1 in. It has a Ed Curtis ssht 228 232 6?? 6?? cam, fast 92, 92mm big mouth tb, Texas speed pp 2.5 5.3 243 heads, 1 7/8 headers, 3" dual exhaust, 0 280 155 811 gtp injectors, 58 psi fuel pressure, 85mm maf and 4" cai. I just bought the mpvi2 pro and changed the tune a little so I could get it to start and move, but it needs a lot more and I don't know enough to do big changes yet. I have a big cruise coming up in a couple weeks and really need some help if someone could take the time to help me out. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: hpt 7.hpt (241.4 KB, 23 views)

Tuner
    I may be able to help. How far are you in the tune? If you were able to get it to idle and move you are on a great track. If you post a datalog it will better help me and others to assist you.
    Last edited by EWY; 06-10-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I have only pulled it in and out of the garage a couple times because it will idle in park but wants to die when I put it in gear. I tried using some of a tune off a setup like mine but it wouldn't hardly run, and fouled my plugs out. I haven't looked at the scanner yet because of very little run time and didn't think there would be much to go by. Thanks for taking time to help.

Tuner
    With the datalog we will be able to see what the engine is doing. It might need more Base running air flow, fuel , timing etc. For the most part idle is the tougher part to tune. In my opinion using a tune similar is good to learn from but not to use as a base. I find it more work to start from some else's tune than from scratch.

Tuner
    Just took a quick look at the tune and it seems the Base running airflow has not been modified.Dialing that in is important to getting it idling well. 5FDP beat me to it but yes raise the idle RPM as well
    Last edited by EWY; 06-10-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Raise the idle rpm way up to help you out. Like keep it at 800-900, don't let it try to get down to 550 like it's set now.

Probably worth adding a few percent to the base running airflow idle airflow table to help as well.

Disable COT (cat over temp).

Disable all other trouble codes for things you aren't running as well. Like rear o2 sensors, EVAP, air pump, cat codes etc etc etc. You need to set the code to "no error reported". Click each code and use the drop down menu to change them.

If you have a wideband o2 sensor, install that and wire into the HP Tuners so you can log that. You're in it for a crash course in tuning if you only have a couple weeks. No way I'd try to run it at whatever event you plan to go to if you can't get it pretty dialed in by then. Maybe someone is local that can help or pay a shop to do it. Learning on such a modded engine will be tough. This computers calibration in general also has a few differences that one needs to be aware of regarding VE fuel tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I will change the tune back to the way I had it before and let you look at that. It was supposed to be a start but when I raised some of those areas it seemed to get very rich and I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Potential Tuner
    I just drove it up the road about 1/2 mile so I didn't get much data. Does it look like i'm on the right track? It really surges under 2,000 rpm and wants to stall when I go real slow.

442.hpt
    442.hpt
    • File Type: hpt 7.hpt (241.4 KB, 16 views)

Potential Tuner
    This is my scanner file.

You're missing your IAT sensor, that may have been built into your MAF previously. If you ditched the MAF, you'll be required to wire in a new sensor or wire in a new sensor if it's just plain old missing. It will be tough to make it run if it thinks you are living at the north pole.

This computer also is slightly different that others because it's from the 1998-2000 model years. In speed density, the computer does not use the primary VE table when put into speed density on the factory OS. It only uses the secondary VE table.

So to get around this, you will want to click the OS tab and apply the speed density enhanced OS upgrade. It's free and just follow the instructions. It will require a write entire to apply the new OS upgrade. This upgrade will remove the secondary VE that uses less resolution and give you just one new primary VE table that all your changes will be made towards.

Do not set the open loop EQ ratio to 1.00 for all cells either. You want it to be richer at cold start and lean itself out to 1.00 (stoich) as the temps get up around 120-130 degrees. If the factory settings are a tad rich when cold, it's okay to lean it out some. Some of it is for emissions and some of it helps with engine running when it's cold.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I don't think you are telling me I done any better this time, but I still ain't giving up lol. I will work on it some more tomorrow. Dummies like me really do appreciate you guy's helping us. Thanks