Thread: 2017 Sierra 5.3 tuning help

Potential Tuner

2017 Sierra 5.3 tuning help

in need of help trying to get my truck to run better.. Had it tune by a few shops and its lacking power feels very sluggish..
    I purchased hptuners to try and figure it out or just find a stock tune.. truck is basically all stock for right now its a 2017 Gmc sierra 5.3 6 speed..
    2017 GMC TUNE.hpt GMC-6-10-19.hpl

These computers are torque based, you (they) can't go maxing out all the engine torque mngt tables and think that is just going to be okay. Every single table is pretty much set to max. All the peak torque, trans, axle torque tables are set wrong.

Even all of your transmission torque mngt settings have either been disabled or set to none, that is just something you can not do with these computers.

It's a shame people do that and make people pay money for such poor service because they don't understand the computers in these vehicles. I mean I'm no expert either but I know enough to not do that with these computers.

Even your timing curves are suspect. It's running a lot lower timing than what you should be able to get away with on pump gas. I can run 20-24 degrees at wide open throttle on E10-15 fuel and maybe another 3-4 degrees with E50-E70 fuel.

Seems you are running some mixture of E85 because the commanded stoich is down in the 12's outside of power enrichment. Both timing curves match each other too, that is a another incorrect way to tune. The low octane table is suppose to run less timing, this way if the engine knocks it can actually remove the timing and slowly work it's way back in using the knock learn factor.

You must also live a hot climate, your coolant temps and transmission fluid temps are stupid high in my eyes. Getting those to come down 20-25 degrees would help a lot too.

To round this out, you honestly should go back to stock and start over from scratch. I'll see if I can post up my current 2016 tune file from my truck. It's a stock engine with an intake tube, cat-back exhaust with a flex fuel conversion setup. It rips for a stock engine with all the engine and transmission tuning I've done.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Here is my 2016 file. It's going to be almost exactly like your 2017 file with some minor differences between the years/calibrations. Possible some throttle map settings or random torque settings could be different, so don't change anything to match mine. The majority of the things are dealing with power enrichment, timing, knock and transmission settings.

Feel free to use the compare tool to see what I changed compared to your stock file. You can copy over some of what I did if you want, it doesn't bother me any. Nothing I did should harm the way it runs and drives, though some of the transmission settings are to my liking and not everyone else's. Be aware that when some transmission settings are changed, mainly with pressure and adaptive settings that you need to reset the learning with the VCM scanner prior to driving the truck. This way it can learn and adapt to the new settings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Your IAT temps were way up there, was that on a Dyno or were you driving? Definitely losing some timing at those temps. Coolant was over 223 and your Trans was well over 200 as well. Fans are running constantly as well. I am running a 180 thermostat in my 2016 with three bottles of Water Wetter.
    Last edited by scr71822; 06-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Here is my 2016 file. It's going to be almost exactly like your 2017 file with some minor differences between the years/calibrations. Possible some throttle map settings or random torque settings could be different, so don't change anything to match mine. The majority of the things are dealing with power enrichment, timing, knock and transmission settings.

Feel free to use the compare tool to see what I changed compared to your stock file. You can copy over some of what I did if you want, it doesn't bother me any. Nothing I did should harm the way it runs and drives, though some of the transmission settings are to my liking and not everyone else's. Be aware that when some transmission settings are changed, mainly with pressure and adaptive settings that you need to reset the learning with the VCM scanner prior to driving the truck. This way it can learn and adapt to the new settings.
    Thanks for the help. I've been comparing the tunes and I know you mention something about flex fuel and I forgot to mention my truck don't have the sensor and on the tune its set virtual..

Right. I installed a sensor in my truck.

Your truck is a factory flex fuel truck but without a sensor. They use a virtual sensor which is just the fuel trims. If you are not running E85, then you should disable that feature. Regular pump gas should not be causing your calibration to think it's running a E85 blend of fuel like it is now.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by scr71822 View Post
    Your IAT temps were way up there, was that on a Dyno or were you driving? Definitely losing some timing at those temps. Coolant was over 223 and your Trans was well over 200 as well. Fans are running constantly as well. I am running a 180 thermostat in my 2016 with three bottles of Water Wetter.
    It was all driving and I believe the ambient temp was 95 ..Ill see if I swap my thermostat and maybe delete the one from the transmission line to get those temps down..
    Any other suggestion? what other things are recommended to log when driving? Still working on getting an afr gauge...