Thread: Pre OS change tune opinion

Talking Pre OS change tune opinion

Anyone like to give an opinion on this starting point tune? I will be updating the OS this weekend so I need to start over but will copy over most of the settings.
    Vehicle is a 2003 C1500HD LQ4 6.0 with 4L80E
    New rebuild
    SUMMIT SUM-8713R1 cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8713r1
    Long tube headers
    CAI
    Stock TB and intake manifold
    Currently has a stock Converter but will be getting a Circle D in the 3,000 or so range stall. Cam calls for a 2,500 but thought 3k might get it out of the hole a little better since it is heavy with big tires.
    sum-8713r1_xl.jpg
    3.73 with 35"
    Need a suggestions on a reasonably priced injectors and size to go with. Currently stock so I know I am going to run out of fuel on the top end. Figured I would keep the RPM limiter a little low until I can do the injector swap.
    No more go fast parts in the future. No power adders. Staying NA
    Will be running 91 octane.
    Oh forgot to add the idle is pretty dang good and I think I should fix the misfire detection as it is pretty much deactivated. Thinking I should have at least a little bit.

Have not done a scan yet as I need to update OS with Throttle progression issue updated software as well as the TB and code fixes.
    I usually don't have tuning issues but hey we all make mistakes.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 08-13-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Looks pretty good. Don't forget to disable the Engine TM Abuse Mode. I would increase transmission line pressure and eliminate the trans TM entirely.

I like the L96 Flex fuel injectors. You can get them cheap, and they just need the harness adapter to work properly. They are 50 lb/hr. I've got plenty if you need some.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Looks pretty good. Don't forget to disable the Engine TM Abuse Mode. I would increase transmission line pressure and eliminate the trans TM entirely.

I like the L96 Flex fuel injectors. You can get them cheap, and they just need the harness adapter to work properly. They are 50 lb/hr. I've got plenty if you need some.
    Good call on the TM Abuse. Are you sure about eliminating the TM entirely? I was going to run this through BlueCat to see if I get a big difference. Need to hit you up on the injectors. I have your email, I will contact you on them. Haven't done an injector upgrade. Is it just a new data entry and run it? Or do I need to redo the tune completely?

12613412 FTW!

Why are those things so cheap? I gambled on a dirt cheap set from Ebay assuming they'd be fakes, they weren't. Like $55/set cheap. Even from GM dealers they're only $30ea.

Advanced Tuner
    There are several TM, and shift changes I would make but the biggest thing that sticks out to me is your rev limiter numbers. IF Bad VSS and P/N cutoff is 6200, then Bad VSS and P/N Resume should be 6150ish. Same with In Gear, your cutoff/resume are both 6200. The resume needs to be lower than the cutoff by some. Whether its 6200/6199 or 6200/6150

Senior Tuner
    Needs 4.56 gears with that cam, 4L80, and 35" tires. How is that going to pass new CA smog?

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Needs 4.56 gears with that cam, 4L80, and 35" tires. How is that going to pass new CA smog?
    Agree on the gears but he only has enough $$ for the T Converter and injectors. I figured that would be the best bang for the buck.
    It is registered in AZ.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    12613412 FTW!

Why are those things so cheap? I gambled on a dirt cheap set from Ebay assuming they'd be fakes, they weren't. Like $55/set cheap. Even from GM dealers they're only $30ea.
    You're exactly right! Those are a bargain. I haven't seen them at $55/set, but that doesn't surprise me. Apparently GM had a surplus of them.

Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    There are several TM, and shift changes I would make but the biggest thing that sticks out to me is your rev limiter numbers. IF Bad VSS and P/N cutoff is 6200, then Bad VSS and P/N Resume should be 6150ish. Same with In Gear, your cutoff/resume are both 6200. The resume needs to be lower than the cutoff by some. Whether its 6200/6199 or 6200/6150
    Good catch. I'll change that.
    So would you do the "In-Gear" as the limit or knock 50 or so off that also?
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 08-13-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Good call on the TM Abuse. Are you sure about eliminating the TM entirely? I was going to run this through BlueCat to see if I get a big difference. Need to hit you up on the injectors. I have your email, I will contact you on them. Haven't done an injector upgrade. Is it just a new data entry and run it? Or do I need to redo the tune completely?
    No question on the transmission TM...just need to increase the line pressure a bit and disable the TM completely. That 4L80E will be just fine. I had a 2000 model 2500 with stock LQ4/4L80E and an On3 turbo kit. It made 12 psi boost pretty much every time I drove it. No transmission TM at all.

Advanced Tuner
    rev limiter.png

I would lay it out like this if I wanted a 6200 rev limit

I would also...

Disable Abuse Mode (Engine and Trans side both)
    Disable Burst Knock
    Disable at least all the Engine TM (I'm with Kevin on the 80E is stout and I'd just disable it all)
    Disable EGR and Cat spark modifiers (assuming you've deleted cats based on your other changes)
    Zero out the 212 degree row of your ECT timing table (it's likely to operate in that temp range and be pulling timing all the time)
    Shorten your Desired Shift Time (I use .200 across the board personally, but would definitely be under .350)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    You're exactly right! Those are a bargain. I haven't seen them at $55/set, but that doesn't surprise me. Apparently GM had a surplus of them.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/274424906026

rev limiter.png

I would lay it out like this if I wanted a 6200 rev limit

I would also...

Disable Abuse Mode (Engine and Trans side both)
    Disable Burst Knock
    Disable at least all the Engine TM (I'm with Kevin on the 80E is stout and I'd just disable it all)
    Disable EGR and Cat spark modifiers (assuming you've deleted cats based on your other changes)
    Zero out the 212 degree row of your ECT timing table (it's likely to operate in that temp range and be pulling timing all the time)
    Shorten your Desired Shift Time (I use .200 across the board personally, but would definitely be under .350)
    What is the safest way to disable TM? Will that automatically stop TCS? "[ECM] 12624 - ECT Spark Advance Correction" set to zero? Set to 640?
    "Zero out the 212" as in [ECM] 12624 - ECT Spark Advance Correction?

Advanced Tuner
    try this.hpt

Pull a compare file to see differences. There's quite a few. TCS and TM are separate, but your TCS looks disabled anyways.

If you want to keep a bit of TM on upshifts, then...

ECM 12840 - Leave numbers populated here (if you zero this, it will zero ALL TM because this is its allowed timing pull)
    ECM 15410 - Leave this as is (or reduce by a % to reduce the TM amount during a shift)

try this.hpt

Pull a compare file to see differences. There's quite a few. TCS and TM are separate, but your TCS looks disabled anyways.

If you want to keep a bit of TM on upshifts, then...

ECM 12840 - Leave numbers populated here (if you zero this, it will zero ALL TM because this is its allowed timing pull)
    ECM 15410 - Leave this as is (or reduce by a % to reduce the TM amount during a shift)
    The tune file says "unable to open file. Part of a remote tuning network that I don't have access to."