Thread: 02 Camaro 5.3 help

Tuner in Training

02 Camaro 5.3 help

So after a base tune with injector data from manufacturer, adjusting 50% lean or rich does no change to the car. It?s showing a change but it?s acting as if it?s still on base data. Anyone have anything like this happen?

I guess I'm not even sure what you are asking.

You didn't really describe an issue or even say exactly what you are trying to achieve.

What injector data, what injectors? What are you trying to do here?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Was kinda asking in general. So after entering injector data I can get the car to run and idle. Tuner was trying to alter the table on the dyno. It shows a change to the table but no physical change happens. Car will run and idle fine at 50% lean. He said he?s never see. Anything like it. I don?t even know where to start.

Tuner in Training
    88lb deutswerks

Injector settings should be set and forget. If you are 100% sure you entered their data correctly, that is all you do there.

Past that you need to make sure you are running the proper 58psi of fuel pressure.

Then if you are using a wideband to tune, disable all fuel trims and closed loop function and use only the wideband sensor to calibrate the airflow model.

I can't see what you or your tuner is seeing but if he's been around the game long enough he should know what he is doing and not say he's never seen an issue before.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Basically in idiot terms he told me no matter what he changes the table to it?s not actually changing it. Went 50% lean and still idle at 12 afr. It shows the physical change on the laptop but based on his wide band it?s not changing a thing. I don?t even know where to start

You are welcome to post up what has been done so far if you want more eyes on this.

Otherwise you are going to left in the dark without posting something.

Tuner in Training
    Ya I?m on my way back with the car . I will post a log and tune

Tuner in Training
    heres tune and a couple logs. Unfortunately only info I can give is its was going to be wideband tuned. He also said my 02s were acting a little weird. Drivers side wasn't working at all. He seemed to think it could all be related somehow.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As a test, cut the min fuel milligrams by half under the transient tab.

You also need to lower your idle timing a lot, it's way up in the 30's. Lower it way down to around 18-22 degrees and see what it's like. You can probably run a lower idle rpm too, somewhere around 750-800 instead of 900-1000.

Your drivers side o2 sensor has a power problem. Staying at 450mv is a dead give away of any issue with the sensor. THe other sensor isn't doing much because it's staying in open loop because the other sensor is not working. It would attempt to enter closed loop if it could because closed loop function is still enabled in the tune file.

See if that helps any. You could still pull fuel from the VE to lean it out more.

Tuner in Training
    I can try that. The issue that arose is he never even made a pull. afr never changed when he adjusted the table via wideband tuning. It showed in the table it was changed but even if he zeroed it out or leaned it by half it still idled the same. He said it shouldn't even run at 50 percent lean or barely. That's what hes said hes never seen, shows the change in hp tuners but the actually change never happened based on wideband readings. He basically said might be the ecu or maybe even a ground and sent me on my way. Kind of stuck figuring it out now.
    Last edited by brainfear; 06-11-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Also when writing it doesn?t throw a error. It writes as if everything is working fine. Going to check grounds and try the transient like you suggested today.

Tuner in Training
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ng#post_345634

This seems like a similar issue. Described better by someone who knows what they are talking about lol.

Tuner in Training
    So after doing the quick math I set my min fuel milligrams to .023 instead of the .041. After this change I was able to write ve and actually see a change via wideband. At 0.041 I could write but no actual change happened. Not sure how or why it will write but not change but I?m going to research it some more. Thanks for the help

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    min fuel mg is a limiting factor for injectors. the bigger they are the lower the number must be in order to allow the injector to be commanded at a lower pulse width.
    when at .041 the value is high enough that the allowed smallest pulse becomes a constant excessively rich commanded pulse. no matter how much fuel you take out it wont go any leaner because the ecu has been told by the min fuel mg value that its current permanently rich state is as low as its allowed to command the injector. lowering min fuel mg as mentioned allows the computer to command smaller pulse widths on the injector which makes it tune-able again as you have just learned in your latest test.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    So is min pulse with divided by 31.4xxx a good place to start? That?s the formula I ended up finding in my searches.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    I couldn't tell you. I usually lower it until I get my desired result then just leave it there.