Thread: 98 Camaro 4L80E won't shift @ WOT

Tuner in Training

98 Camaro 4L80E won't shift @ WOT

Recently did a 4L80e swap in my 98 Camaro. The car originally had a T56, I am running into tuning issues so it seems, I need some help with this as this has been puzzling me for some time.

I did the Delphi 411 repin with the ECU and O/S from a 2002 Camaro running the fuel segment and 4L80E segment swap. The repined wiring to the ECU has been checked by an auto electrician and deemed OK. I am running the Speartech harness for the control of the trans and the trans shifts from the ECU. It changes at part throttle but does tends to hold gear a bit but will not change at WOT till I back off otherwise bouncing off the rev limiter. I am lost to why I am having this issue... I have tried several F body 4L80E transmission tunes from the old repository and even did a segment swap from a silverade of the same O/S with no success
    My problem is no WOT 1-2 shift, it just hits the limiter, I am unsure if I have the same issue 2-3 as I have not tried that one due to the speed required on the public road. I have altered the change points down gradually to ridiculously low values even zeroing out the MPH and dropping the RPM right back to below 4000 rpm with no success..
    I was considering trans oil pressure as a likely culperate though the transmission had been done up with the new transgo kit, till I found an old post in the forum dated from 2015 from a guy who had I identical issues and had done exactly the same conversion minus the repin to an 02 TransAm, he was told to use the 4L60E segment as a fix, the forum finished there. I tried this, a bad choice. I had reverse and neutral but slipped terribly to the point it was un-drivable and risked damage.
    I have previously replaced the front VSS and both shift solenoids.
    I am running a Hughes Hi stall converter and an automatic Transgo shift kit. I am currently running the LS1 which is stock till I sought out the issue
    Can anyone help with this one please

Can you post a tune file? What other mods? How much power? Rear tire and rear gear ratio? I just ran into this issue with a 4l80e swapped turbo tahoe that we also installed a 4.56's in. The only fix we found was to set Full Throttle Enable and Disable TPS to 100%, basically turning off the full throttle tables and relying on the part throttle tables which are based on speed. If there is another work around I have'nt found it yet.

Tuner in Training
    The engine is a stock unopened 1998 LS1 with a factory OTR and SS bonnet with a tune, currently the O2 and fuel trims are turned off but the problem existed before that. It is making just over 400hp at the fly wheel according to the scanner. I have a LSX 454 waiting to go in once the problem is solved.
    Gear/Tyre: 3.73 ratio dana rear end with 26.77 inch tyre size.
    The transmission is a 1993 4L80E though it has a 5 pinion planetary with cross cut gears, Transgo shift kit (still fully automatic, not a manual changing shifting kit) Hughes 3500 stall converter.
    A log has been attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Have you tried blue cat trans software?
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner in Training
    No; I have heard of Blue Cat, browsing through some forums.
    What does it do and where can I get it

It calculates shift times, shift rpm, torque converter settings, all based on your setup. You can google "blue cat trans tool" and it pops up in the first post. Did you correct the gear/tire size after the segment swap. It would still be a good idea to post the tune, not just the log.

Tuner in Training
    I googled it just after my last post and managed to get a link that worked. Apparently there is a region setting on the download that only allows US and Canada, according to a post on that forum. I had a play with the program for a few hours, what a great tool. I got version 1.37, I think there is a1.39 but haven't found it.
    I will post the tune when I get back from work tonight, the reason I have not posted the tune at this time is that it is likely that it won't be directly related to the scan as I have tried several versions of the tune and various 4L80E transmission segments from other 98-02 F bodies . The scan was done a couple of months back as I am working in regional NSW about 600 miles from home and don't get back real often. For that reason I am unable to do a fresh scan and post it with the corresponding tune at this time.

Tuner in Training
    I have attached one of many tunes tried.In later versions of this tune I actually dropped the shift speeds and RPM to try to make it change up, without success. The gear/tyre is correct though there were small variations on trans rev per mile & VSS pulse/mile between the tune and the blue cat tool
    Camaro tune no O2 4L80E.hpt
    Last edited by Lancer59; 06-14-2019 at 06:05 AM.

I don't think your 1993 4l80 electronics will work with the 411, you might need a newer year trans from a vehicle after 97.
    My Avatar is my Wife and Proud of it!!
    1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 Vortec T56 9" 3.00
    2006 3500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 6sp 4.10 4X4
    2013 Audi A5 Cab 2.0tfsi Quatro
    www.mcmnapa.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1970ss8.1 View Post
    I don't think your 1993 4l80 electronics will work with the 411, you might need a newer year trans from a vehicle after 97.
    Not sure of 93 but i do have the pre96 4l80e in mine no problem
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner in Training
    Transmission compatibility is a good call.
    I had considered the transmission compatibility as an issue some time back but was unsure if I would be throwing good money in the wrong direction, I saw two options. A 4L80E controller kit; not cheep in Australia and if it didn't help, it would be on my bench till I die and my children would throw it out. I swapped an LS3 block with a friend for a tidy 2007 4wd 4L85E which is on the transmission stand and ready to pull down once I find the time. The problem I might have with the 2007 4L85E is; I read that the electronics run on CAN BUS which most likely would have compatibility issues. Perhaps I could use the internal wiring and force motor from say a 99 transmission? Perhaps I could persuade a friend to lone me his new controller box to see what happens. Though I would like to be sure that its not just in the tune till I go down this path.

Tuner in Training
    I've been doing a bit of research! From what I have been reading the 4L80E went through big changes into the 1994 model year. (Mine is a 93),
    The 1994 model year got:
    New pressure control solenoid, New shift solenoids, new wiring harness and connector, changes in vehicle speed sensor circuitry and components, addition of a 4WD switch on all 4WD models, new codes for transmission faults and APP sensor was added.

Nothing solid on the 93 being compatible or not but it looks bad.

From what I read on the painless controller unit; I might be able to use this unit if I run a Holley type force motor as per 94 model "but sketchy."
    This is the only unit I have looked at at this time.

It does look that the transmission is too early a model year to be compatible. I may have to go with a full manual setup for this transmission.

I could build the 2007 4L85E when I get an opportunity but I might have to do alterations there as well, if it is running CAN BUS. Another unknown!
    Last edited by Lancer59; 06-15-2019 at 09:36 PM.