Thread: Slow-shifting 4L60E when shifting manually

Tuner in Training

Slow-shifting 4L60E when shifting manually

I recently purchased a low mileage, well maintained 2011 5 cylinder Chevy Colorado with the 4L60E transmission. (Yes I realize this is the V8 transmission forum but many more folks read the V8 section.) The transmission works very well EXCEPT when it is shifted MANUALLY. Shifting 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd takes about a half a second. Shifting 3rd to 4th takes a full second. Yes, the Colorado has a column shifter and in the near future I'd like to put in a floor shifter (not the H3 conversion). However if shifting MANUALLY is always going to be so slow, the floor shifter seems pointless. Can manually shifting a 4L60E be speeded up significantly??? Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Come on folks!!! One of you brainiacs must have some ideas. Maybe a stand-alone performance controller or some magical TCM tuning. Maybe a how-to on turning a 4L60E into a shiftable automatic that still allows the TCM to function normally when desired.

Often you tend to be at the mercy of the DBW system and the computer when manually selecting the gears. That transmission also doesn't have tap shift or shift buttons on the column like the 6 speed auto's do. Those will shift as desired because of the tap shift function.

Have you tried speeding up the desired shift times?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I haven't sped up the automatic shift points yet. They're a little bit slow for my liking but not horrible. (I assume DBW is drive-by-wire.) I don't know if the 4L60E was ever supplied from the factory on any model vehicle with the "tap shift" ability. This is my first electronic GM transmission I've dealt with. (My wife's Charger R/T with the NAG1 automatic has auto-stick and it works great.)

Thru on-line searches I stumbled on the 4L60E install instructions for a Lokar floor shifter that has wiring instructions for a built-in tap-shift feature. The instructions also include a "warning" that tap-shift shifting may be at the mercy of the TCM and they don't guarantee the shift quality or speed. Does anyone have relevant experience with a Lokar tap-shift enabled shifter???