Thread: newbie, so be gentle......

Potential Tuner

newbie, so be gentle......

trying to learn HP Tuners, I have been watching videos and reading forums until my eyes crossed.

first time trying to tune, so did not go wild....

just trying to get some constructive feedback if I am grasping the basics, tried to tune on my car.
    While it definitely feels better on the butt dyno.
    I don't see anything that looks sketchy with my limited understanding,so I believe I may be on the right track.

anyone feel like looking at the tune & log and giving me some constructive feedback on where I may be good and where I may be off in left field?

Trying to treat this as a learning experience and see what areas i may need more research and understanding in.

Thanks,

2011 Camaro SS L92/auto, all stock except CAI.
    93 tune experiment.hptpart_full ss.hpl

Add knock retard and your injector pulse widths into your logs, it's stuff you should be watching. Add cylinder airmass if it's not already there as well. See if you are picking up any knock or if something at times is pulling away timing. Your curves want mid 20's but it's often low 20's or high teens under full throttle. But there wasn't a super long pull through the RPM to get tons of data from.

I wouldn't have it run in MAF only though, being that it's stock. No real reason to do that, let it use both the MAF/VVE up till 3-4,000rpm.

Tuning the transmission can help too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Add knock retard and your injector pulse widths into your logs, it's stuff you should be watching. Add cylinder airmass if it's not already there as well. See if you are picking up any knock or if something at times is pulling away timing. Your curves want mid 20's but it's often low 20's or high teens under full throttle. But there wasn't a super long pull through the RPM to get tons of data from.

I wouldn't have it run in MAF only though, being that it's stock. No real reason to do that, let it use both the MAF/VVE up till 3-4,000rpm.

Tuning the transmission can help too.
    Thanks, will definitely add those and see if i can get a long uninterrupted pull through the gears.

I did make some tweaks to the transmission i ran across that helped the shifting & shift points.

as I mentioned, did not try to go wild, just tried for some mild improvements.

Main thing is to make sure I have the fundamentals down before pushing it.

Potential Tuner
    " I wouldn't have it run in MAF only though, being that it's stock. No real reason to do that, let it use both the MAF/VVE up till 3-4,000rpm."

I thought I understood when I read this what you were referring too.
    However after looking over the tune, i am either misunderstanding or overlooking this.
    can you be more specific on where I am preventing it from using both?

Thanks ahead of time for the knowledge.

Dynamic airflow was change to 500/400rpm instead of the more factory setting of 4,000/3,900rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    ok, got it.
    my bad, i had changed view to basic from advanced and forgot to change it back.

thanks for the tip.

I appreciate your patience.