Thread: MAF tuning needed with a K & N filter?

Potential Tuner

MAF tuning needed with a K & N filter?

I have a very general question about any Gen 3 or 4 GM engine that is totally stock. Mostly in my shop I see Chevy Silverado pickups.

When the customer installs a cold air intake like a K&N which comes with the filter and the intake duct, does the vehicle require MAF tuning to make the PCM read the new airflow correctly?

I am new to tuning and was reading about "MAF tuning" in the GM Beginners tuning book and was wondering if this would apply when someone modifies their air filter and intake duct like I see all the time on otherwise stock engines.

No not really.

Otherwise they would want to state that when you purchase the intake system that custom tuning is required. Just about every single one of those bolt on kits is staying to the factory size tubing just with the noise baffles removed. The GEN 3 MAF go right on to the intake piping as if it were the stock size and the larger GEN 4 card style MAF's use the same tubing diameter that the factory air intake box had. Even if there was a little variance the computer can handle the small change.

I put an airaid system on both my trucks and seen several other brands on vehicles I've worked, just doing the intake required no changes to make it better.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the info.