Thread: PE on or off??

Tuner in Training

PE on or off??

I am getting conflict of information on this issue. My 18 camaro turbo has factory wideband. I am tuning MAF part throttle too 4k, both high and low frequency, using histogram of ltft+stft math.
    Shall I have PE disable or enable for this? Some say no need to disable with factory wideband. Some say must disable. Im confused. Any help appreciated in this matter.

Advanced Tuner
    I dont turn pe off when i tune. You can make a histogram with a filter to block out cells you hit in with pe or if you really want to just set the pe enable to 3k so after 3k youll enter pe granted you meet all the criterias but personally i dont. I leave my pe enabled as how id want my pe to be

Tuner in Training
    Ok, thank you once again TCSS07. Just wanting to make certain Im not overlooking some things. Fuel trims are now very close after about 7 revisions +- 2% now for part throttle. I am happy with this. Do you suggest moving into the high rpm range using the same method I have done here for tuning WOT MAF? ltft+stft math vs maf frequency? Of do you suggest a different histogram for wot maf tuning?

Advanced Tuner
    I would yes. I make seperate histograms when logging afr/lambda error, fuel trims,spark,idc,boost and all that. I have 4 different histograms logging fuel trims - maf trims/maf idle only/ve trims/ve idle only for example. I probably have too much going on but id rather have to much than be missing something you know

Tuner in Training
    I too would like to be safe. Is using ltft + stft vs maf a safe way to tune wot? I have set up a EQ error vs maf histogram. Would that be a better way in your opinion to tune WOT MAF? Also, thank you for the tip on using filters. That really cleaned up some transitions, and trims really started getting very close!! Much appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    Trims are fine to use for idle and part throttle fueling. I shoot for -5% ltft. I just do ltft only and when my errors are under + or - 7% I use paste by 1/2% otherwise ill do full% so I don't over shoot my target. A wideband is the only way to tune wot fueling. You cannot use narrowband readings from the o2 sensors but since you have a factory wideband. All you have to do is log it in eq ratio(lambda) to make things easier. lambda is always 1 no matter the stoich you have set. Is your stoich 14.1 or 14.7? id shoot for a .84/.85 lambda to start and then get some dyno time to figure out whats best for you vehicle. Since your DI you can get away with a little leaner afr
    Last edited by TCSS07; 06-18-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Emily if you have an lnf/ldk/a20nht running the e69 module then you can tune wot using fuel trims. This ecu is one of the few that allows the trims to remain active in pe.

Advanced Tuner
    How can you use fuel trims if trims are based off stoich? unless when the ecm changes to your pe stoich you just need to shoot for 0%. i still think a wideband would be better to use but idk

Advanced Tuner
    cooper1965 - i would go off the wideband eq error. your eq error says -.3% and fuel trim say +2%. i still dont think using fuel trims is a good option but thats my opinion

Potential Tuner
    Awesome. I won't clog up the post. Thanks for the help, this is a good read.
    Last edited by cooper1965; 06-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    iirc the trims stay active in wot. because of the wideband if they stay active then your trimming to commanded fuel which changes in pe.
    if they arent staying active in wot then look for the channel wblambdab1...that is if its still named that. im a tad rusty since i specialize in ls and standalone stuff.
    contemplating just reading the forum posts instead of commenting. been getting busy to try and keep track of what im saying and who i recommended what advice to.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman