Thread: Which base tune to start with?

Tuner

Which base tune to start with?

I have a 99 suburban that I am ls swapping. The motor is a 6.0 with flat top pistons and gen 4 rods it has 243 heads with Manley valves and pac-1218 springs, Tbss intake, warr drive by cable throttle body, btr stage 2 truck cam and I am running a Holley fpr. The trans is the stock 4x4 4l60e. I am trying to figure out a tune to start with. The motor is modeled after an ls2 but all the ls2?s are drive by cable. I am guessing my next best guess would be to grab a tune from like a 01 firebird and segment swap the trans. But didn?t know if there was something closer I could start with for my motor so I am not having to tune as much since I am brand now to this.

P.s. starting with a 411 pcm and truck harness with computer grounded o2?s not case grounded.

Thank
    Last edited by AndrewJReynolds85; 06-17-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added info

Is the computer already from a truck?

Doesn't make much sense to start with a camaro file when you have a 4x4 4L60e already.

Starting with a truck file is the easiest, then change the displacement in the calibration. Update any other information that required. Like removing trouble codes, disabling feature the engine isn't running.

If you didn't get bigger injectors that what come standard in a 6.0, you will want larger ones. Stock 25lb/hr injectors won't support that camshaft swap.

Either way, even with the changes you did and the changes you can make before you start, it's going to take a lot of changes to get everything right. Invest in a wideband o2 sensor if you don't have one yet.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Is the computer already from a truck

Doesn't make much sense to start with a camaro file when you have a 4x4 4L60e already.

Starting with a truck file is the easiest, then change the displacement in the calibration. Update any other information that required. Like removing trouble codes, disabling feature the engine isn't running.

If you didn't get bigger injectors that what come standard in a 6.0, you will want larger ones. Stock 25lb/hr injectors won't support that camshaft swap.

Either way, even with the changes you did and the changes you can make before you start, it's going to take a lot of changes to get everything right. Invest in a wideband o2 sensor if you don't have one yet.
    I actually have 2 411 pcms one from an f-body and one from a 2500 truck. I do have a wide band o2, it?s an innovate wide and but I do not have the pro feature to integrate it. I was thinking of downloading a stock file from the repository since neither computer started with what I needed. Is it easier or better to start with the file that?s in the computer? The intake I have has the 12580681 injectors which I believe are 30lb injectors which i was going to wait and see if they maxed out and if they did I was going to decap them and send them out to be matched.

Use the truck computer then. If you need to segment swap in the 4L60e file do that.

Using other files ends up costing you more money in credits. Only license one file if you have too.

Use the injectors that came in the other intake. Decapped injectors are kinda garbage. The low 30's lb/hr is good enough for a small cam 6.0. I always suggested 8.1 injectors as they are 31lb/hr at 58psi.

There should be a conversion spreadsheet floating around here somewhere for putting the newer injector data in the gen 3 format. I think you can even find it on performancetrucks.net too. You'd find the data from looking up a stock file of a vehicle those injectors came from.

Use the computers EGR circuit to wire in the wideband. Been covered many times on the forum and lots of youtube video's that show how you set it all up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.