Thread: 1997 K3500 ls swap vorttec 5.3 4L80e won't shift

Tuner in Training

1997 K3500 ls swap vortec 5.3 4L80e won't shift

Brand new to HP tuners (former Jet user, huge difference )

This was a 1997 K3500 with a diesel and a 4L80e transmission, not sure of which transfer case as it only had the transmission in the back when I bought it. The engine I am using I am told is a 2003 5.3, it came with a drive by cable setup, and the truck amazingly had a drive by cable throttle. I have removed the gas pedal and the throttle body and replaced both with normal cable run. The original computer (LS that came with the harness) wouldn't let it rev, only idle so I have replaced that with a 1999 silverado ecm. I assumed that the original trans from the donor engine had a 4L60e transmission so I've done the removal of the white wire from S and moved the brown wire from U change on the trans plug. I then added to the red connector pins 22 and 23 for the Speed sensor. still nothing. My 4L80e is not the original, the one I have has the cooling line separated by a good deal of space so I am told it a later one (can you tell by a number some place the exact year?

when I do a swap like this I leave the original wiring harness in place and use 3M connectors to connect the LS sensors to the instrument panel gauges.

if I use the connector from the diesel engine and ecm it will shift 1st to 2nd or maybe it's 1st to 3rd). Right now I have the Diesel ecm off and the LS connector is what is in the trans.

My hp tuners software is 4.4.4 so I didn't do a segment swap for the transmission because it is select able in that version.

With the changes I've done, the speedometer works, has worked really for a while if I use the front speed sensor, the trans is in 2nd I believe and that's all it ever does. The tach and fuel gauge also are not functional. when applying throttle it falters a little until it clears then it seems okay, but not perfect. Right now just trying to get it shifting before I worry about the tune for the engine.

HELP!

thanks in advance!

Robert
    Last edited by Robertrw3; 06-18-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Even though you can select that is has a 4L80e, that drop down menu doesn't do anything.

You have to actually change that part of the calibration to make it a 4L80e. So do a segment swap using a file with the same OS as the one you are using. You should be able to find another 1999 truck running the same OS with a 4L80e. Do the OS swap and see if it acts like it should.

Other things to note here. A 1999 computer/engine does not run the same injectors as a 2002-2003 engine. All the engines after 1999 run larger injectors. You will want to copy the injector data over if the injectors you are using came off that newer engine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Good things to know thank you so much for your response I will do both of those things because yes it is a newer engine that explains why I run so crappy I do appreciate it and I will come back and tell you what the result was.

Tuner in Training
    okay, if I open a compare file, and then do the compare drop down and the segment swapper is clickable, then I select transmission and transmission diagnostics, click import, shouldn't the transmission screen look different?

how can I tell I got something?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    All the engines after 1999 run larger injectors. You will want to copy the injector data over if the injectors you are using came off that newer engine.
    how do I copy just the injector data?

Advanced Tuner
    Open the compare file your injector data needs to be changed to and commence to copy/paste the tables one at a time. Or simply input whatever injector data your injectors came with. The copy/paste for the segment swapper is only for engine/trans and diag as a whole.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck