Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing Auto to Manual? Not possible?

Banned
    This is where my personal preference goes with Smarty UDC Pro tuning. With that software I can do a full 100% complete change of calibration on an ECM with ease where HPT refuses to allow full access to the calibration through user defined parameters to allow such a thing to happen. With Smarty's UDC Pro I can even change a 2004.5 to a 2005. Give a 2010 a 2012 calibration, no problem, change a 2013 to a 2018, snap of a finger.
    Last edited by Jim P; 06-26-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    you sound like you know a bit about this. I have done a few segment swaps on gm gas engines but haven't ventured in to the cummins side of it yet. I have a ecu that is from a 2005 auto, do you think I will be able to make it work right with a manual? I know smarty tuners can do it, and there is a guy on ebay that will do it for 200 bucks, but I wanted to do some tuning with it so I thought I would give it a shot with hp tuners. My OS is 25325353AL. I found a tune from a manual 2005 that has a OS 25325351AL. Do you think that would work? I still haven't licensed my truck, I'll have to do that tonight

Advanced Tuner
    Well, I just licensed my truck and I tried to do the segment swap with the other operating system which has a real close one to mine but it wouldn't let me. I either need to have the same exact OS it looks like or it won't work

Banned
    If you have user defined parameters try swapping everything in the allowable data ranges and see if that works. There?s some stuff you can?t swap due to HPT?s ridiculous restrictions though

Banned
    I can do this for you relatively quick if you want

Potential Tuner
    Sort of in the same spot. I have a 05 5.9 in a ford f350, doing the whole fummins swap using a g56 that was sourced else where. Cant get the motor to get more than 2200 rpm's. ecm is a cm848 25325353AI OS. Cant seem to edit anything under the transmission tab. Haven't tried using the stock 05 file in the repository yet (25325451AI) but that doesn't seem like it is going to work either. any ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    sure, I am waiting on a clutch to finish the installation. I'm not sure what you mean by user defined parameters though?

Tuner in Training
    I found that if you take the (PRND) selector off of the 48re transmission and place a hose clamp to keep the plunger depressed, the sensor will read like you are in park. Hook it back up to the truck and the tuning will be a piece of cake then for the g56 swap. I only get 2 codes (tcm pressure too low, voltage out of range etc) turn the automatic transmission off on the first page of the tune. Lastly, you have to adjust the throttle command to intentionally lose boost when you let off of the pedal. If not the boost will hold your rpms wherever you let off for 3 seconds. That will trash a synchro in a hot second. I just transferred a tune from a 2007 5.9 g56 truck to my 2004.5 48re / g56 swap. That worked the best. I tweaked the tune and listened to JimP about everything. He's a good tuner. 👍

Hello, I read the whole thread.

I just swapped my auto 2003 with an G56 trans. Now the truck won't start with the key. If I jump the starter relay the engine will fire and run but the truck is acting weird, PRNDL indicator flashes, 4 corner lamps flashes, horn is activated every 3-4seconds so it is not driveable for now.

I emailed HPT support asking to swap vin's off my other truck's tune ( I have 2 2003 trucks, one auto that have been swapped and one standard from factory).
    M. Bill Henn for HPT Support told me to ask on the forum as this is not a service they offer.

So following HPTs recommendation, I am here asking if someone can help me get my truck back on the road ASAP

I've attached both files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Look at my post just above yours #28. Remove the PRND selector switch off of the old 48re. There is a spring loaded piston which is used by the computer to tell what you are in PRND. Take a hose clamp and use it to manually push that piston all the way down. Then wrap tape over it to weather proof it. Then, plug it back into the wiring next to the transmission. It will fool the computer into thinking that you are in park. Will start and be tunable. Hope that helps