Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Auto to Manual? Not possible?

Potential Tuner

Changing Auto to Manual? Not possible?

Is it possible to convert a 04 auto ecm to a manual ecm with HPT?

I grabbed a manual file from the repository and tried to flash it but it says its not from the vehicle and will not let me flash. Is there any way to do this with HPT? With EFI on the 06 trucks its a simple flash but on HPT it doesnt like to let you flash files as freely.

Any ideas?

Banned
    Ever try in the transmission section selecting disable where it says auto transmission?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Ever try in the transmission section selecting disable where it says auto transmission?
    I have not, can anyone confirm if it works? I already just wasted 2 tokens trying to flash this manual file in, would rather not waste another 2 if at all possible.

Banned
    It?s a simple click and flash with your trucks own generated stock file to try it. The topic of trying to flash someone else?s tune file onto your own vehicle has been covered a few times in the forum, cannot happen. Honestly you were better off using EFI Live or MM3. Much more capable tuning platforms that allow more than HPT does with better support.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    It?s a simple click and flash with your trucks own generated stock file to try it. The topic of trying to flash someone else?s tune file onto your own vehicle has been covered a few times in the forum, cannot happen. Honestly you were better off using EFI Live or MM3. Much more capable tuning platforms that allow more than HPT does with better support.
    Gotta go with whatever the customer has, unfortunately no MM3 and EFI does not support the CM849s. In order to try the stock generated file I am going to have to use another 2 tokens, if that fails then I am 4 tokens in.

Banned
    Right, you said at the top 04. Push HPT to refund the 2 credits. Shouldn?t be dinged 2 credits for a failed attempt of flashing a tune for unmatched vin.

You can get rid of all things to do with the auto trans. It takes a while to figure out what's causing the derates but everything is there that's needed. Can't swap to an actual manual file, but can make it do what's needed. I fought this with a FMVB truck for a while. Email me if you want and I'll send you a tune for a full manual setup with auto ecm. [email protected]

Banned
    It?s really too bad hpt doesn?t give full address range in user defined parameters, if the did it would be easy as hell to turn the automatic transmission calibration into a manual transmission calibration

Banned
    Most of it can be easily converted to manual transmission calibration. There?s a stretch where there?s differences that hpt doesn?t allow access to though

Banned
    It?s another option that may be worth trying as well though

Potential Tuner
    I dont believe it is possible from hptuners software , what I had to do is use a bully dog programmer and flash the ecm with a manual trans recovery file , then i was able to read and write with hp tuners , hope that helps

Banned
    Like maybe 90% can be done through user defined parameters. Between an 04 auto and 04 manual, in the address range from 500000-53EA6E, there is no difference between the two calibrations. The last bit that can?t be done is mainly hardware mapping parameters with a few other things in there, some differences in this end and lots of differences in the address range 40000-6FC64 range. Smarty touch and mm3 it?s very easy to change from auto to manual and vise versa without a recovery file although the change when done without use of a recovery file is only in place while the tune is applied. Having a pass through device and software to flash a different calibration permanently would be ideal for sure. A dealer can also perform this at a cost.

Advanced Tuner
    you can set up the ecu to work with a manual. You just have to find a tune on the tune repository with the same operating system that has a factory manual transmission. Then you do a segment swap for the transmission. I am in the process of swapping my truck to a manual, but there aren't any tunes out there that I can find with the correct OS. If anyone has a tune that they would like to post up on the tune repository with a OS: 25325353AL that had a manual transmission I will send 25 bucks your way. Thanks

Banned
    I haven?t seen the segment swap option become available to open on the dodge Cummins ecm, at least not on the 5.9?s. Haven?t paid attention with the 6.7?s

Advanced Tuner
    I just messaged hp tuners support and they said that it could be done

Banned
    When comparing an auto to a manual the segment swapper isn?t selectable for me

Advanced Tuner
    did you find a tune that had the same OS as you have?

Banned
    The tune repository has someone?s stock file for 2005 manual, not sure if it?s Cali or federal emissions, there?s no difference between the two though other than in the calibration it one says federal and the other says California.

Advanced Tuner
    I have looked through all of them, and none of them have the same OS number

Banned
    25325353AI is the automatic federal emission for MY05. You have 2 choices for manual transmission in MY05, 25325331AI (Cali emissions) and 25325351AI (Fed emissions). There are special calibrations in MY05.5 that end with revision #AL, 25325431AL (325HP Manual Cali Emissions 800rpm idle), 25325451AL (325HP Manual Federal Emissions 800rpm idle), 25325631AL (325HP Manual Cali Emissions 850rpm idle), 25325651AL (325HP Manual Federal Emissions 850rpm idle). For the MY05 manual transmission these are your choices available for calibrations or what HPT likes to refer to as OS(Operating System).

I can email you a legit Chrysler flash file of anyone of these manual transmission calibrations.