Thread: Newb with a few questions about HP tuners

Potential Tuner

Newb with a few questions about HP tuners

Hello users and tuners. I have a few questions as my only experience so far with tuners was an SCT flip chip where you had 4 different tunes for conditions and could just turn the dial to the tune you desired.
    1. I am building a turbo setup for a 2012 Silverado 5.3. Can I have two tunes one for daily driving and one for towing? If so what is involved in switching between these tunes?
    2. 2012 Silverado 1500 5.3 will be used for daily driver and towing a toy hauler. Im not looking for 700hp I just want more power and torque in the usable rpm range 2000-5500 range. What size turbo would be best suited to this purpose?
    3. How important is monitoring EGT temps when towing?
    4. Is a stall converter a mandatory upgrade in my 4L80E?

Thanks
    Last edited by nicpaige; 06-18-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Sure you can make/have two tunes but it's really not required. One calibration can have everything in it. You can calibrate the transmission for tow/haul and normal driving in the same tune.

A smaller mid sized turbo, 70-75mm or so should make 500-600hp easy.

Probably pretty important if the load is heavy and it see's hills. Monitoring air fuel ratio's is just as important.

A stall is wanted if you change the camshaft to something large enough. The factory 6 speed auto can handle 500hp without a problem, so going to a 4L80e isn't required.

I suggest removing the AFM/DoD system and running a different camshaft.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was leaning toward the VSR Next Gen 7875 Billet T4 1.25 AR divided or is that a little large?
    Also what is the big advantage using, billet, journal ball bearings etc.
    Why the different cam recommendation? I see a bunch of people using the sloppy stage 11 cam but the idle on that sounds pretty choppy and Im worried about lower rpm torque.
    Last edited by nicpaige; 06-18-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicpaige View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was leaning toward the VSR Next Gen 7875 Billet T4 1.25 AR divided or is that a little large?
    Also what is the big advantage using, billet, journal ball bearings etc.
    Why the different cam recommendation? I see a bunch of people using the sloppy stage 11 cam but the idle on that sounds pretty choppy and Im worried about lower rpm torque.
    when deleting the AFM/DOD you have to change out the AFM camshaft. the lobes on the 4 AFM cylinders are different and if you retain the AFM cam while deleting the rest of the AFM/DOD system you will run into low rpm engine misfire issues etc... you can swap in a stock LM7 cam (Factory NON AFM/DOD) if you prefer but you must get rid of the AFM/DOD cam.
    '01 SOM Camaro SS A4, PAT G 235/243 .621/.624 112+4, TEA TFS215's, NX MAF kit, Ported FAST 90 plumbed for DP, Nick Williams TB, SVO Red tops, Pacesetters, TSP true duals, Built tranny, SLP Lid, 2,800 protorque converter, HPT pro
    on a 100 shot before heads and cam
    [email protected] 1.64 60'