Thread: Help Fine Tuning Idle

Tuner in Training

Help Fine Tuning Idle

Hello, I have a H (Ported 799s) /C (Cutsom Lunati) /I (LS6) 5.3 in a 1998 S10
    I have my base running airflow (IAC) and idle set very good, but I have a little snag.

If I scoot up in traffic (light throttle to about 15-20 MPH then let off) it will cam over and chug and sometimes stall.
    ALSO
    While slowing down with NO throttle, once the truck reached 40MPH on the way down (Converter lockup speed) it will cam over and stall.

I can free rev it as fast or slow as I want in Park or Neutral and it returns to idle with no hangs and no chugs, but returning to idle from a cruising gear is still problematic... I have my IAC pushing like 14g so I dont want to keep adding to it because it hangs high in other places then.... Is there somewhere I need to add/remove timing maybe or is there a parameter in the transmission that I'm overlooking?? Sorry I'm a rookie... I attached my latest calibration as well as my cam card

Any Chance anybody has a few minutes to school me or adjust my calibration for me? I can do scans or videos or whatever is needed... Thanks In Advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can cut the under/over speed idle spark correction tables in half.

How is the fueling?

Have both the MAF and VE been recalibrated somewhat so make sure you aren't fighting that issue as well?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You can cut the under/over speed idle spark correction tables in half.

How is the fueling?

Have both the MAF and VE been recalibrated somewhat so make sure you aren't fighting that issue as well?
    Fueling is good... everything has been re calibrated and is nice and smooth/stoich... I got it dyno tuned by a very good tuner BUT I had a sticking throttle blade, and a vacuum leak that I didn't know about at the time, when it got tuned... I readjusted my throttle blade, got a new IAC and fixed the vacuum leak... I figured I would just have to adjust the airflow but that wasn't the ticket... when I give it enough air to not chug, it hangs up high elsewhere... My tuner is out of town for a month and then insanely busy upon his return, and this little problem is quite annoying lol

Tuner in Training
    And I apologize but "cut the under/over speed idle spark correction tables in half" .... would you mind elaborating just a little bit more... Trying to learn as much as I can

Advanced Tuner
    Highlight both tables and multiply by .5
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Tuner in Training
    I understand the math lol I mean what is that doing to the vehicle

I idea is to limit the computers ability to adjust timing on it's own for idle. If the cam is somewhat aggressive the cam will cause the rpm to bounce or "lope" at idle.

Idle Adaptive Spark Control
    • Overspeed: Amount of spark adjustment in response to an idle overspeed condition.
    • Underspeed: Amount of spark adjustment in response to an idle underspeed condition.
    So if the rpm is in a constant quick rise and fall, it will want to move the timing around. And if it's allowed to move it +/- 12-15 degrees it will make the idle worse off.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, thanks bud