Thread: 6l80e TCM OS Swap

Potential Tuner

6l80e TCM OS Swap

I have had issues with a TCM in a 6l80e, the gearbox stays in 3rd and I was getting invalid gears in the PRNDL Status in hptuners but no codes from the TCM. The TCM reads fine into hptuners though. I thought it could have been the plastic gear range selector in the gearbox but after replacing that I still had the issue.

I am in Australia and the engine and gearbox are originally from a 2007 Holden Commodore (L98) 6.0l and they are now in a Toyota Landcruiser.

I have a installed a replacement TCM 6l80e from another 2007 Commodore but the TCM has a different OS and after installing it I cannot do a trans fast learn, which I need to do because the gearbox won't engage D or R after having all its fluids drained. The new TCM reads in hptuners fine as well, and this one shows the PRNDL Status for each gear as normal (no invalids), but it won't recognise the fast learn button in hptuners special functions menu is being pressed.

I have a copy of the original TCM file saved with the OS and VIN that matches my E38 ECU, if I do a write-entire on the new TCM with the old TCM file will this update the new TCM's OS and VIN so I can perform a trans adapt or trans fast learn, or will it just brick the new TCM.

I don't have direct access to TIS so this would save a lot of time.

Thanks, Kim.

Advanced Tuner
    ive found you can use 07/08 trans and swap os fine (7vca & 8cva). 09 tcm os will brick it though.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry, I made an error there. The new gearbox and TCM are from a 2010 0cva... So that's a series 2. And going from what you're saying that will brick it if I try and write 2007 TCM OS over it. Damn.

Ok so what's a better course of action. Buy a new TCM preprogrammed to match the 07 ecu. Or buy a second hand ECU that matches the TCM (cheaper)

Advanced Tuner
    yeah can either swap tcm from the 07 or just get a 2010 ecu, much better as you get rev blips on down shifts from the later model trans.

you will brick the tcm/ecu's if you flash in the wrong year stuff on these.