Thread: How do you know...

Tuner in Training

How do you know...

When you download a file, and they say on the outside it's a 4L80e how do you know it really is?

I've looked for a site that has the GM calibration numbers with no luck... how can I tell that I've got a 4L80e calibration loaded up?

What do you need, other than the correct calibration, and the Speedometer output, to cause a 4l80e to shift?

Does the 4L80e require both speed sensors to be used?

Thanks in advance!

Robert
    Last edited by Robertrw3; 06-21-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Tuner
    Yes it requires 2 speed sensors, What are you trying to do? Did you do a 4L80 swap into something? We need some more details on what your doing.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 1997 K3500, was a diesel... bought it with no engine, tranny or transfer case, dropped a 5.3 with a 4l80e and a transfer case, manual one. using a 2000 ECM I think the wiring harness is newer, it has a speed sensor wiring on 20 and 21 I added two wires, 22 and 23 not going to anything right at the moment. I left the original wiring harness intack and have married the two for gauges. If I plug the Vortec ECM into the front I get output on the scanner, I get output on the dash, if I switch them I get nothing on either. I have never tried having both 20 thru 23 hooked up at the same time... I also have a sensor on the transfer case.

Tuner
    Post your current tune, Is the ecm from a 4L80 truck? If not your going to have to do a segment swap on it.

Tuner in Training
    I did do a segment swap, but not 100% it took CYCB_JUN_21_4L80e_add_2.hpt

Tuner in Training
    The thing is there's two videos that are on YouTube regarding a 4L60e to 4L80e one of them says that all you've got to do is take the brown wire out of the letter u and take the white wire out of the letter s and put the brown wire back into the hole that the white wire was in "S". Then you make a second sensor for the connector for the speed sensor and it goes in 22 and 23 of the red connector or connector two of the ECM.

The second video tells you that you take off of the transmission connector the wires that are in "t` and s totally out of that connector and you take the wire that is in "u" which is a solid Brown and you put it in "S.

Then you take the the white wire and the black and brown wire what you took out of S&T and you use those two to make the sensor connector that goes in 22 and 23 of the red connector which is connected two. So it's dealing with one more wire than the top one is that going to stop it from shifting I don't know it has to do with it overdrive seems to me no.