Thread: help with first tune

Tuner in Training

help with first tune

hello i am new to all this and starting with my 05 avalanche 5.3. so far i have added little timing, made pe kick in sooner and turned off torque management. will yall look over my tune and see if i have a good start and where to go from here. my.avalanche.1.5 2.5 timing, pe earlier.hpt6.hpl

It's picking up knock, so adding timing wouldn't be suggested yet.

Try aiming for 12.0-12.2 for PE instead of 10.8-11.5 like the factory is. I do suggest running 89 octane fuel at a minimum too, 87 is prone to knock. And if you start changing with fuel mixtures and timing, 87 isn't what you want to be running. Around here it's only another 3-4 dollars per fuel up to run a higher octane fuel.

Put in some 89 octane and see if it's still picking up knock, if it goes away then it should be alright. I always try to aim for low 20's for timing on a stock 5.3. I'm sure your intake temps weren't helping either, if you'd be sitting still there where well into the 140's and touching 150 before they came back down from you driving and getting airflow to the engine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    yea your iat are wayyy up there. I would change what ever setup you have so you get the iat down. You are just loosing horsepower because the air is less dense, also when your iat are that high it is reducing the timing from your main timing table. When your iat are in the 140 degree range it is taking 7-8 degrees out of your high octane table. You could adjust the table to where you aren't taking so much timing out when you have higher iat. I would start taking maybe 2 degrees of timing out at the 113 degree iat and interpolate that up to the far right row. Also you should be logging cylinder air mass and wideband reading so you know what the afr actually is. Also I would put the enrichment rate power enrichment up to 4

Advanced Tuner
    and zero out the engine coolant temp base spark modifier table

Tuner in Training
    okay im just going to start over from my stock file. i want to get rid of torque management, enable power enrichment sooner, and add a little timing where i can also this truck is extremely under powered down low like from a dead stop floor it and it doesnt really go until over abut 2500 rpm. what can i do to fix that? also here is my stock file if you have any suggestions. like i said im new to all of this and wanting to learn

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jseab View Post
    okay im just going to start over from my stock file. i want to get rid of torque management, enable power enrichment sooner, and add a little timing where i can also this truck is extremely under powered down low like from a dead stop floor it and it doesnt really go until over abut 2500 rpm. what can i do to fix that? also here is my stock file if you have any suggestions. like i said im new to all of this and wanting to learn
    what gears do you have in it? my guess is 323's

It's a heavy ass truck with a low powered 5.3 running a low stall converter with 3.42 gearing, it's not going to get out of it's own way very well.

You need to either add 100hp/100 ft lbs, swap to 4.10 gears or reduce the weight by like 1000lbs if you want it to pick up and go out of the hole.

Your current tune wasn't bad, it just needed to be tweaked some. Running 89 octane is still suggest if you want to run knock free and maybe get away with additional timing. Just don't count of the timing making any real difference, you are still at the mercy of the very bland stock camshaft and stock exhaust, it's really not going to allow you to make any more power down low.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you I have started running 93 in it nd still tweaking I do have a bad lifter tick so I will probably be putting in a stage 2 truck cam pretty soon maybe that will wake it up a little

Tuner in Training
    okay so i started over and have not touched the timing tables other than the ect and iat modifier tables. i have taken out torque management and set power enrichment to come on at 50% throttle and 2500 rpm and set the table to 1.200 which should be a 12.2 afr. my problem is i am still getting kr even with 93 octane, pe is coming on way earlier than i have it set to and its trying to run an 11.8 afr

Tuner in Training
    here is my current log and tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

I feel your pain..lol. i have a 05 tahoe with slug like power and speed. i am also fighting a kr problem but havent tried to blend 89 yet. i belive my thread is one or two post above yours. i have adjusted the ve, recall the maf and turned off my tq management and adjusted the p.e. i noticed i did again a little better throttle response and a little butt dyno feel. i am trying to get info about why i am seeing stair step like kr with no timing being pulled. i get a little antsy waiting for reply's..
    2001 monte carlo swapped l67 on e85
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    speed daddy headers 3inch exhaust
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    cold air filter behind bumper
    60 lb injectors

It would be 12.2 if you were running non ethanol fuel or if the computer was saying it's running 9% alcohol content. Your flex fuel feature is showing 9% in the log and it's dropping your commanded AFR down to 11.84 using the "AFR" readout. Lambda value should stay the same though.

Most pump fuels are E10, so that's right in line. If the 93 you are using is not E10, you could set stoich to 14.68 for all cells, so it can't change the stoich on you.

The more time you spend looking at the calibration file the more you figure out what is going on. The calibration as it sits is allowed to add in more timing than just your high and low octane tables. You have both the FLEX and BASE spark correction tables still active. They are allowed to add in timing and that could be a cause for your knock retard. If you don't want the computer to add or remove timing and only go by your high/low octane spark tables you need to zero out your spark correction tables.

Try these settings too. Increase the max torque value from 350 to like 500 under the engine TM. You can also set the ETC TPS MAX value to 100% for all cells if you want too, should let the throttle open faster. Then set the power enrichment enable torque to 50% instead of 100%.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you I will try that also I do occasionally run e85 so I would need to leave the flex table alone correct?

Leave it as is if you do use E85.

Tuner in Training
    i am still getting major KR with stock timing and cannot figure it out im starting to think tuning is not for me lol i really want to learn it thoughtest2.hplmy.avalanche.pe..hpt

An easy test is to fill up with premium fuel, the knock stays exactly the same with 93 octane and stock of less timing, then I'd be looking at a possible issue with the sensors or something else causing the knock to show up. Like a bad collapsed motor mount or something.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    An easy test is to fill up with premium fuel, the knock stays exactly the same with 93 octane and stock of less timing, then I'd be looking at a possible issue with the sensors or something else causing the knock to show up. Like a bad collapsed motor mount or something.
    im running 93 now but i think im going to replace my knock sensors i occasionally get a code for them that might be my problem im just going to flash back to stock tune until i replace those then see what i can do