Thread: L96 swap 2001 Silverado 3500 LQ4 truck

Potential Tuner

L96 swap 2001 Silverado 3500 LQ4 truck

Hello, I bought a project 2001 dually missing its original LQ4 engine. I got a great deal on a brand new 2018 L96 so I swapped it in. I did the knock sensor relocation and used the Lingenfelter converter box. I'm using the original throttle body with an adapter plate, original map sensor,maf,Corvette fuel filter,deleted the vvt and installed a new GM LQ4 cam. I bought adapter harnesses for the injectors. Truck runs but rough like a lean misfire complete with smoke out the tailpipe. Obviously, injectors,intake and head flow are totally different than the old LQ4.

I bought me a MPVI2 and I'm going to learn to tune. Right now I was to make certain it will idle and drive out properly so I'm not harming the engine or other components. On the scanner STFT was -15% which I believe is lean. The last engine I tuned was a 455HO in a GTO so I'm new to flashing computers.

I searched for L96 swap tune info on the forum but didn't find anything meaningful to me.

Good advice on what to do to get this truck running decent enough to move it around in the yard and not hurt itself while I figure out how to fine tune it would be greatly appreciated!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Hello, I bought a project 2001 dually missing its original LQ4 engine. I got a great deal on a brand new 2018 L96 so I swapped it in. I did the knock sensor relocation and used the Lingenfelter converter box. I'm using the original throttle body with an adapter plate, original map sensor,maf,Corvette fuel filter,deleted the vvt and installed a new GM LQ4 cam. I bought adapter harnesses for the injectors. Truck runs but rough like a lean misfire complete with smoke out the tailpipe. Obviously, injectors,intake and head flow are totally different than the old LQ4.

I bought me a MPVI2 and I'm going to learn to tune. Right now I was to make certain it will idle and drive out properly so I'm not harming the engine or other components. On the scanner STFT was -15% which I believe is lean. The last engine I tuned was a 455HO in a GTO so I'm new to flashing computers.

I searched for L96 swap tune info on the forum but didn't find anything meaningful to me.

Good advice on what to do to get this truck running decent enough to move it around in the yard and not hurt itself while I figure out how to fine tune it would be greatly appreciated!
    a negative value on the fuel trims indicates that the engine is running rich not lean

Senior Tuner
    It'll be rich until you enter all of the L96 injector characterization data. If you'll post your tune and the 8 digit part number of your injectors, we can help.

Potential Tuner
    stock 01 lq4 egr delete ls3 inj data.hptstock 01 lq4 egr delete ls3 inj data.hpt this is last tune I tried. Injector p/n 12613412. Thanks to both for your help!

Potential Tuner
    I have done tps relearn and it ran equally crappy on the stock lq4 tune

Your tune shows 25.2 lb/h. L96 should be 49lb/h at 58psi. Here is an L96 injector flow table
    injector flow L96.png

Potential Tuner
    thank you, I will insert that data into the tune and try it!

That data won't just copy/paste over because of the differences in the calibration files.

Take a L96 file's injector data and input that data into this spreadsheet. That will convert the GEN4 data into the GEN3 data that you can input into the tune. You need to input all of things listed here and not just the injector flow rate.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    ok, so I would find tune repository , get a l96 tune and copy the injector flow data into that spreadsheet.

Potential Tuner
    did that but the l96 tune from repository had the same table referenced by IARLLC. Where would I find the L96 injector data to copy into that spreadsheet?

The flow rate is one part then look at the bottom of the spreadsheet for the other tables you are looking for.

Like the short pulse adder, offsets and min injector pulse. Find those tables and input the data into the spreadsheet.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I took injector data from a L96 in a 70 Monte Carlo tune I found in forums and my truck fired up, idled and ran well enough to move in driveway and no smoke or drama!! I am learning to tune!! As its warming up, it gets rougher so more tuning is needed.Should I do another TPS re-learn? I could not input short pulse adder data because number of cells is different in tune file than in the spreadsheet, what should I do about that?
    Last edited by horsepoor; 06-30-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Potential Tuner
    stock 01 lq4 egr delete spa mip fr offset.hpt There is the tune for L96 in 2001 Silverado. Truck runs and drives well. I used Flex fuel injector 12613412 Gen III compatible tables posted on another post by LSxpwrdZ and loaded them into my stock LQ4 tune with egr zeroed out (since L96 does not use EGR). Seems like the easy way out compared to the hours of fighting with the spreadsheet in the xls file . I could not get the spreadsheet to work properly as I alluded to in my previous post. Thanks to all who posted to help me but the big hats-off is to LSxpwrdZ for posting those tables.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    stock 01 lq4 egr delete spa mip fr offset.hpt There is the tune for L96 in 2001 Silverado. Truck runs and drives well. I used Flex fuel injector 12613412 Gen III compatible tables posted on another post by LSxpwrdZ and loaded them into my stock LQ4 tune with egr zeroed out (since L96 does not use EGR). Seems like the easy way out compared to the hours of fighting with the spreadsheet in the xls file . I could not get the spreadsheet to work properly as I alluded to in my previous post. Thanks to all who posted to help me but the big hats-off is to LSxpwrdZ for posting those tables.
    I've been driving the truck for a few weeks. Misfire on #2 and #3 was causing MIL to flash. Followed updated crank relearn instructions for VCM Scanner and now misfires are gone!

Next step is 90 mm Edelbrock throttle body and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.

Potential Tuner
    Hey all! So happy I found this thread. Looking to complete this exact swap in the near future. 2001 LM7 DBC 0411 ECM 4L60 to a fresh L96. I know I will need to segment swap over from 4L80 to 4L60, but aside from that, how is the above tune, "stock 01 lq4 egr delete spa mip fr offset.hpt ", still holding up? Looking for something to get me started quickly as it's my daily driver. Thank you!