Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0334 help!

Tuner

AEM 30-0334 help!

Hey guys, I'm sure I am missing something but I have the AEM 30-0334 wide band. When I am scanning, the EQ error is in the 900's-1000's%. I was curious if any one could tell me why? I am using the serial connector method ( pre 2007 vehicle I am tuning) Also, the EQ ratio is 10-11. Why isn't it near 1? See the scan attached and you will see what I mean
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if your trying to read this wideband through the obd2 i dont think you can do that. as i recall this unit does not work on ecm's older than 2008. P01 does not make the cut for obd2 use.
    you can still wire it in through the pro harness and configure it as a 5 volt signal gauge like the units from aem that came before this one.

how do you have it installed?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...tly-in-scanner

The serial output on the 30-0334 doesn't come pinned (same for the analog), but everything inside the gauge is there to make it work. After the wires are added the serial & analog work just like a 30-0300.

Advanced Tuner
    If you can use the analog output, instead; it is greatly superior to the slow/coarse serial output. The serial output is only 10 samples/second and only 3-digits accuracy. It also has a strange bug where, if you put the gauge in Lambda mode, the serial data switches to lambda units x 10. I was thinking of doing a flash update to upgrade the serial data.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    if your trying to read this wideband through the obd2 i dont think you can do that. as i recall this unit does not work on ecm's older than 2008. P01 does not make the cut for obd2 use.
    you can still wire it in through the pro harness and configure it as a 5 volt signal gauge like the units from aem that came before this one.

how do you have it installed?
    I have the serial wire from the serial connector to the number 5 pin from the wb gauge to the usb to serial connector.

Tuner
    I think that may be my problem. I’m going to transform and divide input by 10 instead of 1. I’m thinking that’s the issue. I may just go to analog. I didn’t want to fool with the offset but I may not have a choice

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    That 10 factor offset is new to me. Thanks Dr. Mike

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah. It seems like the serial output shares the same scaling factor as the display . So, when you switch the display to Lambda, the serial data switches from 14.7 to 10.0 it should be 1.00 ( if it should switch at all ). I think I can fix this. And, at the same time, increase the update rate to 25 per second, from 10 per second. And increase the resolution. If someone wants to try it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Yeah. It seems like the serial output shares the same scaling factor as the display . So, when you switch the display to Lambda, the serial data switches from 14.7 to 10.0 it should be 1.00 ( if it should switch at all ). I think I can fix this. And, at the same time, increase the update rate to 25 per second, from 10 per second. And increase the resolution. If someone wants to try it.
    The issue I?m having is my eq error is 1000%. I guess I need to change my math to not multiply by 100

Does it need to be a 0334 or will a 0300 work the same for this experiment? I've been holding off buying one as I'm waiting for the next non-beta to see if Support is ever going to add this stupid brake booster pressure channel I want to use for analog, but if they can't I'll be stuck having to use the CAN input... I also have all the other hardware ready to use/test the serial channel, though I probably won't end up using that permanently. If you could do the firmware re-working on a 0300, and update it to the correct CAN protocol at the same time, that'd solve all my problems at once.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe the plan, going forward, is to have support for the 30-0300 ( and other ) CAN data channels work through the prolink. This is, by far, the best way to get wideband data into the scanner. The second best method ( best available for now ) is the OBDII interface, as used by the 30-0334. These are 2 different firmware for the widebands. One is AEMNet format, the other is OBDII format.

The next best method is analog. The 30-0300 and 30-0334 both have "ground offset compensated" analog outputs. They operate at 500 samples per second. and have 10-bit resolution. The signal is, usually, good enough to resolve single cylinder events, up to low-mid rpm. I've seen a few experiments where both the CAN data and analog channels were recorded and compared. They match up almost perfectly, between the analog limits of 8.5AFR and 18AFR.

Last is the current serial implementation. It only updates 10 times a second ( response time is over 100ms ). And, is only 3 digits. It was only included to be compatible with the old 30-4100 It is really the last resort.

I did some checking. If I change the baud rate or the formatting ( more digits ), I will break the scanner. But, at least, I can increase the sample rate to 25s/s or, maybe 50s/s. So, that's what the re-flash will do. It will work for 30-0300s or 30-0334s

TL;DR

If you can, use the CAN/OBDII interface. If you can't, try the analog before resorting to the serial. If you must use the serial data, probably best to have it re-flashed to get a better/useful sample rate. I'll see if I can throw in a few connector pins for reflashed 30-0334s

Tuner
    Okay i have another question. I went back to the analog signal. added it and transformed it to eq ratio for eq 30-X0..... I can't get the math parameters to pick it up no matter what I do. I have even created a user defined equation and it still wont pick up the wb EQ I assign it to. Could you help? I have attached pictures of me trying to do the non user defined tranform in channels and also the user defined transform in channels and assigning it the exact same "WB EQ ratio (SAE)" it still won't pick up the channel. Why is this?

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    OK. For anyone who wants to try it, I just completed a serial data mod re-flash for the AEM 30-0334.

It increases the polling interval to 20ms ( 50x per second. Or 5x faster than "stock" ) and adds an extra full digit of resolution. So, it turns the serial output into actual usable data

I tested it with VCM Scanner 4.4.4 and all looks to be good to go. For any who want to try it, I'll toss in a few extra connector pins so you don't have to hack up your wiring harness. Enough to add the serial and 0-5v wires to the OBDII harness.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    OK. For anyone who wants to try it, I just completed a serial data mod re-flash for the AEM 30-0334.

It increases the polling interval to 20ms ( 50x per second. Or 5x faster than "stock" ) and adds an extra full digit of resolution. So, it turns the serial output into actual usable data

I tested it with VCM Scanner 4.4.4 and all looks to be good to go. For any who want to try it, I'll toss in a few extra connector pins so you don't have to hack up your wiring harness. Enough to add the serial and 0-5v wires to the OBDII harness.
    I?m still using the serial. I just transformed it. What do I have to do to try the serial data mod?

Advanced Tuner
    How do you have it hooked up ?

Tuner
    How do you have it hooked up ?
    Made myself a serial cable and pinned the 3 and 5 terminal to serial signal and ground. Using lambda on hp tuners

Advanced Tuner
    Well.... 5 is the serial data line. But, 3 is the CANL line. So, not a good choice for the ground wire. I would just tie into the main ground on pin 2 ( or chassis ground ).

According to the pics that you posted earlier, you are using the prolink A/D inputs. So, I am a bis confused.

This fix is for using the "Serial Port" input. Usually, with a USB-> Serial adapter connected to pin 5 on the 30-0334/0300. With this, the serial data is pretty usable.

If you are using the A/D input on the prolink, you should be using the 9 and 10 pins on the 30-0334/0300.

Tuner
    I did a chassis ground with pin 3 as well

Tuner in Training
    I just purchased a 30-0334 because I thought it would work over canbus. Can you explain the way you pinned the back of the gauge to get analog out? Can I just pin the obd2 connector female or are they pins on the gauge itself. Id appreciate the help.

Advanced Tuner
    At this point, if you have the pro-link, you should be using the CAN inputs from the 30-0300/0310

If not, which interface are you trying to use ?