Thread: E38 tuning issues

Potential Tuner

E38 tuning issues

Hi Guys,

So I'm at the end of my build now and it's time to get serious about getting the ECM into shape. I have an L92 Gen IV engine out of an '07 Escalade with an LS376 cam swapped in and VVT delete. The ECM is out of an '07 Avalanche and is an E38. I have copied over most of the tune from an '08 Corvette to get a baseline for this tune and configured the car to run in speed density for the initial tuning; BTW the car won't stay running if the MAF is enabled. I rebuilt the wiring harness myself for this project and for all intents and purposes the car is running very well. I have a couple issues that I would appreciate some direction on if anyone has time.

1) There is an issue with the car coming to idle after depressing the clutch and shifting to neutral. Sometimes the car will die, sometimes it stutters, and other times it comes down to idle just fine. It usually seems to be worse once the car has warmed up and if the car is reved higher when it comes down to idle

2) Occasionally the computer will throw a P0606 DTC. This almost always happens when doing a big pull in first. The throttle then becomes unresponsive until I clear all the error codes. Other than that, I won't see this issue.

3) The car seems to be guzzling gas. I setup a MPG PID on my histograms to track it on one of my last scans and it does seem to be significantly lower than I would expect.

Attached are a couple of scans and the tune I am currently working with. I have been using the LTFT+STFT histogram to start making changes to the VVE. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you changed some throttle tables that you shouldn't have, that can cause the P0606 code.

Are you running the truck throttle body or the corvette throttle body?

Do you have a wideband o2 sensor?

Your MAF is working, so that is good. Is the MAF the truck MAF or some other MAF sensor? I could see problems if you installed a different MAF sensor because it won't really be correct right away.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Great questions. I knew there was more information I should include. I haven't explicitly changed any throttle tables other than to copy things over from the '08 Corvette tune. Things "seemed" to transfer over very well, in my opinion, with the comparision log.

I am running the corvette throttle body and intake manifold. I do not have a wideband just the little old narrow bands which seem to bounce back and forth wildly; Not exactly sure what the expected behavior is there. The MAF is the card style that you would see in any LS3 swap.
    Last edited by richkid0808; 06-25-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to post a quick reply to this post. After a good bit of research I believe that my issue comes down to a mismatch between the OS segments that control the TAC and read the APP sensor. I decided to go ahead and replace the 2007 Avalanche ECM that I have been working with a 2008 Corvette one. I've been driving for about a week and I haven't had a P0606 code thrown since. The idle issue still exists so this most likely is an issue with the larger CAM that was installed and I just need to work on isolating and tuning the idle. Appreciate the help guys and I hope this can help someone out there. As a side note, please no one try to flash other peoples tunes on to your ECM. It can get expensive fast and was a good learning experience for me.

Potential Tuner

wondering if you could help i am doing a very similar swap

Quote Originally Posted by richkid0808 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to post a quick reply to this post. After a good bit of research I believe that my issue comes down to a mismatch between the OS segments that control the TAC and read the APP sensor. I decided to go ahead and replace the 2007 Avalanche ECM that I have been working with a 2008 Corvette one. I've been driving for about a week and I haven't had a P0606 code thrown since. The idle issue still exists so this most likely is an issue with the larger CAM that was installed and I just need to work on isolating and tuning the idle. Appreciate the help guys and I hope this can help someone out there. As a side note, please no one try to flash other peoples tunes on to your ECM. It can get expensive fast and was a good learning experience for me.