Thread: How does this all work???

Potential Tuner

How does this all work???

I am not an auto tech, and I have never done this kind of thing. I am handy in doing basic things to my car. Things like, basic maintenance, audio installation, brakes, NPP install, etc. Tuning is a completely unfamiliar thing for me.

I just looked at the website and saw that that there are modified ECMs along with various cables, and a thing called an MPVI2 device. So then, what items from the website do I need to tune my car?
    Index Point Holsters Makers of quality Kydex concealment holsters.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    depends on the vehicle but typically the MPVI2 and enough credits to tune your vehicle is enough. You might also consider opting for the Pro feature set.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    depends on the vehicle but typically the MPVI2 and enough credits to tune your vehicle is enough. You might also consider opting for the Pro feature set.
    So then, all I need is:

- The MPVI2 device
    - a laptop to upload the tune to the car, and
    - Credits?

What is a credit? is that the pre-programmed tune for my car?

My car is a stock 2006 C6 Corvette with automatic trans.
    Index Point Holsters Makers of quality Kydex concealment holsters.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    2 credits, that allows you to license your vehicle so that you can flash tunes you build for it.

If I may, credits are the like the coins you buy at Chucke Cheese. You pay the dollar amount to get a certain amount of coins or in this case a "credit".

It costs 2 credits to unlock some computers and or 4,6,10 etc etc depending on the vehicle. There is a supported vehicles list on their website that shows how much vehicles/controller costs to unlock.

As bill said, your specific car is just 2 credits. So $100 for those 2 credits.

Nothing is pre-built tune wise, you are the one making all the changes and you have to be the one to learn how the computer functions. It's worthwhile to look into some books or take some time browse the internet and youtube to see what it's all like.

You can even download the software and look at some of the sample files as well as looking for another like stock file from a corvette on the forum. I'm sure there are a few posted around.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

What are the advantages going to a pro versus the regular tuning soft wear ? I have no plans to tune anything other than my own car, so is there more things I can work with in the pro version, and less with the regular one ?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
    What are the advantages going to a pro versus the regular tuning soft wear ? I have no plans to tune anything other than my own car, so is there more things I can work with in the pro version, and less with the regular one ?
    https://www.hptuners.com/product/pro-feature-for-mpvi2/

Thanks, Bill. That answered my question, I knew there was something on it, but couldnt find it on here. I didnt think to go the company web site, silly me, LOL.

I did a lot of research about what tuner to buy. Kept coming back to EFI live and HP tuners out of all the others. What sold me on HP was the fact I could do gm, ford, and chrysler without spending thousands on equipment right out of the gate. Getting into this for my personal car, yet think I can turn it in to a decent side gig in the future as well. It is a learning process to say the least. I'm still new at this, learn more every day.

Something else I didn't see others touch on, if you buy your own mvpi2 and take your car to a pro tuner that uses hp tuners, they can use your dongle and credits, then you can tweak it here and there down the road yourself. I've heard that some tuners sell you the mpvi2 as part of their tuning package.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Potential Tuner
    good morning, starting from 0, I ask for your help, I am putting together a z28 ls1 5.7 220/224 .575 nitrous 125, 4l60e, I thank you if you could guide me thanks