Thread: Need help with tuning my 4.8 with cam and long tube headers.

Tuner in Training

Need help with tuning my 4.8 with cam and long tube headers.

I'm brand new to tuning and have 0 knowledge of anything to be honest. Over the last year I took a shot at attempting my first build and decided to take my 2002 silverado 1500 and do a bit of work to it which includes:

1 7/8" to 3" Long tube headers
    Valve Springs
    Summit 8706 Cam (275int /280exh)
    340lph Fuel Pump
    and a bit of supporting stuff (bigger aluminum radiator, electric fans, new fuel lines, brakes, brake lines, remanufactured 4l60e etc etc)

It fires up and sounds pretty great at idle but anytime I go to give it gas it dies out right after, so I copied a tune I found on youtube and now it dies occasionally when I go from starting it to putting it into reverse or drive, or if I give it any gas in gear, but if it's in Park I can rev it to red line and it's fine... I'm not really sure what to do I just want to get it running decently to be able to take it to work and such until I can find a good tuner near me (Bergen County, NJ) to set up some dyno time and get things dialed in.

I've included the current tune file in it. As well as a log for trying to get it up and down the driveway but like I said, it kept dying on me

The Mule Cam Springs Long Tube Headers lets hope this shit works.hpt21-04-26 17-22-44.hpl4.8 gen3 Cam Springs Long Tube Headers 340lph Fuel Pump.hpl

You've maybe got some sort of vacuum leak or exhaust leak. The fuel trims are adding in like 30% worth of fuel.

Looks like you have a ton of base running airflow too, not sure you need it that high.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    @5FDP
    Do you think a broken exhaust manifold bolt would cause that much of an exhaust leak? Secondly would one missing intake manifold bolt be enough to cause the potential vacuum leak you're talking about?

Also any recommendation for what my base running airflow should be closer to?
    Last edited by SendItForSenna; 04-26-2021 at 11:33 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Always fix any broken mechanical stuff before trying to tune.