Thread: 16 PSI and 5 Degrees

Advanced Tuner

16 PSI and 5 Degrees

I am finally getting around to tuning this thing, and really noticed after about 14ish lbs of boost it just start knocking. Obviously I can't hear it but the Knock Sensors sure don't like it. After a ton of reading, it seems a lot of people are getting way more timing out similar setups.

383 LS1 bore Iron
    317 heads
    92 e10
    9.2 to 1 compression.
    Gt5018 Turbo
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's a lot of boost for pump gas, could be what is holding you back.

E85 or a mix of it may help bring the knock down. I'd also stop allowing the computer to move the timing around on you. You have both the flex fuel and base fuel spark correction tables adding in timing. Letting just your high/low octane tables determine timing makes it easier to me.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    383 with a gt5018...how long you have to wait for that 88 to come online?

Advanced Tuner
    i was debating on that. i plan on running e85 when i can afford id injectors hah. I was just pushing it for now but just seeing such low timing trying to compare it to other people is what had me for a loop. Only reason i left the timing adders was i thought i read yeara ago that GM had all those adders pretty dialed in and a guy was better off just adjusting the mains. I cant remember now but it was like Bill or maybe Soundengineer.

As fas as the lag, you can see it in the log. not too bad, definitely upping shift points later, but for now im just trying to get the engine tight.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    5* seems low to me 5FDP. i usually dont let mine go any lower than 11* advance.

on the iat retard i set the mult table to be .5 at 3600 and linearize it to 1.0 by 6400. at full song i want my iat to be full effect. i also dont typically start pulling timing until roughly 113-122* on the temp chart. this all depends on how hard i push the main spark table though. if i push it pretty hard then i lower my initial iat zone a tad.
    currently your file pulls 3* of ignition due to iat events in your pull and you barely exceeded 100* on the iat.

i usually set my ignition retard limit to around 8* so i dont end up with negative ignition on a turbo setup running lower ignition timing.
    have you tried adding ethanol or high octane fuel to determine if the kr is fuel related or mechanical?

130kpa by 4500 isnt bad at all. i though it would be closer to 4900 just by brain guestimating.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    im done for the night. but next is to see how much e85 i can mix in untill my injector duty cycle gets out of hand. then i guess let the flexfuel timing do its thing. i wonder when those tables take effect, like what alcohol content. never searched that yet haha.

thanks for the input, i have a feelings its going to be a long weekend

Advanced Tuner
    just a side note, you should either get a bigger tranny cooler or a tranny cooler if you don't have anything at all. The temp got up to 190 at the end of the log

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I already bypassed the radiator trans cooler and put a B and M cooler but I am going to need to add a fan to it too.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I just filled half tank of e85. That brought me to about 55% alcohol in the tank through the Composition Sensor. No more knock and was giving it about 11 degrees at 17 lbs. Id say I am beyond gas, haha. IDC was about 90% though, so I think I am just going to lower the boost to around 13 PSI and run gas or e30 or e85 or whatever the gas station has until I can afford a set of ID1700x. Reason I didn't post a log is because I had the PID for AFR and not Lambda, so it doesn't look great hah.

Thanks A lot Everyone!