Thread: Gen IV L94 with TSP VVT4.2 CAM Won't IDLE

Tuner in Training

Gen IV L94 with TSP VVT4.2 CAM Won't IDLE

Hey everyone-

I have an L94 with the TSP 4.2 VVT Cam Kit installed. The problem is I can't get it to idle on its own without holding the pedal at about 1200 rpm and even then it surges. I've tried changing the Target Idle speed as well as the Final Idle Airflow minimum, and spark table as suggested in an HPT video. I purchased the PCM tune from TSP which is the one I've attached. I tried to contact them for some support but apparently "Casey" isn't doing that anymore and otherwise hasn't returned my call.

The problem is it starts well, even when its warm but it is flooding the engine with Fuel. Its way too rich and has an uncontrollable Idle because of it. I know this is a big cam but it should idle around 1000 RPM or so. I'm starting to wonder if I don't have another problem with this engine. It has 58 PSI fuel pressure and the other data is in the data log I attached. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

a couple of side notes. When I first ran this engine it was winter time in IOWA so it actually idled on its own. But it was much colder then and had open headers and I only ran it for about 30 seconds since I didn't have the radiator hooked up yet. Now it has mufflers hooked up and won't idle at all.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    FYI got a call from Casey tonight. I'll post again with an update.

Tuner in Training
    Update I got an updated Tune for my Tuner and it looks very similar to the big cam idle tutorial on the HPT website. However still won't idle. I've double checked all wiring, compression is good at about 180 in each cylinder, all within 10% (Checked Cold) It starts fast but won't idle. Plugs are black from too much fuel. Does anyone know if the injectors are that different between a L92 in a 2007 Yukon and the L94 in the 2010 Cadillac Escalade? Maybe there is something there that isn't correct. Still puzzled.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluck29 View Post
    ... Does anyone know if the injectors are that different between a L92 in a 2007 Yukon and the L94 in the 2010 Cadillac Escalade? ...
    They are significantly different.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I see that... the 2010 Gen IV Engines have much larger injectors. I'm going to try to load the injector information for a 2010 Escalade. Thanks for the confirmation.

Tuner in Training
    Update for anyone who is reading. Put the correct injector information in the PCM to matching the injectors from a 2010 Escalade and things are much better.