Thread: FE03 ECM Locked error during IMMO Relearn (used replacement ECM for 2018 Silverado)

Tuner in Training

FE03 ECM Locked error during IMMO Relearn (used replacement ECM for 2018 Silverado)

2018 Silverado K1500 L83 6L80. Installed a used/junkyard ECM from a different 2018 Silverado and reflashed it using TIS2Web. That went fine.

Used TIS2Web to perform the IMMO Relearn for ECM replacement. It has me turn off the key, then turn it back on. It begins a 12 minute countdown, but after 10 seconds or so, it asks me if I want to perform a "health check" of the IMMO system. Doesn't matter how I answer the question, it returns to the countdown clock which is now at 11 minutes. After about 20 seconds tick off, it says turn the ignition off. I do that and get a 3 second countdown clock, then it says turn it back on. I do - and that's when I get the FE03 error code saying the ECM is locked.

I tried pulling the fuse for the OnStar module, Human Interface Module, and the Human Interface Bypass Module per suggestions from a friend who works at a GM dealer who says those modules could be "waking up" during the IMMO relearn causing problems, but pulling these fuses had no effect.

Has anyone ever run into this?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, unfortunately. In Global A vehicles (like this one), once the ECM is married to the vehicle, it is considered "locked". There is an SPS function for "preparing to remove" ECUs which might unlock it, but it would have to be done with the original vehicle intact.

Your only option is to disable VATS and move on or purchase a brand new ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    There is an SPS function for "preparing to remove" ECUs which might unlock it
    I'm not seeing this option in SPS, where is it at?

Tuner in Training
    I bought a brand new ECM, installed it, and programmed it using SPS. Apparently the IMMO relearn didn't need to be done with this new ECM because it started right up after programming completed. I did perform all the other relearns (including the idle relearn).

With this ECM, the engine idles high (~750 rpm) and the fuel pump doesn't prime when I open the driver's door. Scan data shows desired idle at 744 rpm at full operating temp. Swapped back in the old ECM and and idle came back down to around 500 (both desired and actual) and the fuel pump primes when I open the driver's door (key not in ignition).

Does the brand new ECM assume this is a new engine and is it commanding a high idle and disabling the door open fuel pump prime for break-in purposes?
    Last edited by Sinister Performance; 07-11-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Possible that is was programmed with an updated OS or something newer than the original which raised the idle? Compare stock tune files for both?

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2019 Sierra 2500 that I just had the same problem with. I have a Service Theft Deterrent System message and truck will only crank on the second crank. Also got a FE03 Security Code Function locked showing during immo relearn. Are a new ECM and another immobilizer relearn the only solution to fix this? My OEM ECM is also having the same Service Theft message and cranking on the second crank. What is the fix? Thanks!

Anyone ever fixed this?

Advanced Tuner
    There's no "fix" for this unless you know how to modify GM's operating systems. It's a design feature of their software.

Tuner in Training
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the 744 rpm desired idle speed?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackl5p View Post
    I have a 2019 Sierra 2500 that I just had the same problem with. I have a Service Theft Deterrent System message and truck will only crank on the second crank. Also got a FE03 Security Code Function locked showing during immo relearn. Are a new ECM and another immobilizer relearn the only solution to fix this? My OEM ECM is also having the same Service Theft message and cranking on the second crank. What is the fix? Thanks!
    You need to perform an IMMO Relearn via SPS2 to prevent the Theft-deterrent system message.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Performance View Post
    2018 Silverado K1500 L83 6L80. Installed a used/junkyard ECM from a different 2018 Silverado and reflashed it using TIS2Web. That went fine.

Used TIS2Web to perform the IMMO Relearn for ECM replacement. It has me turn off the key, then turn it back on. It begins a 12 minute countdown, but after 10 seconds or so, it asks me if I want to perform a "health check" of the IMMO system. Doesn't matter how I answer the question, it returns to the countdown clock which is now at 11 minutes. After about 20 seconds tick off, it says turn the ignition off. I do that and get a 3 second countdown clock, then it says turn it back on. I do - and that's when I get the FE03 error code saying the ECM is locked.

I tried pulling the fuse for the OnStar module, Human Interface Module, and the Human Interface Bypass Module per suggestions from a friend who works at a GM dealer who says those modules could be "waking up" during the IMMO relearn causing problems, but pulling these fuses had no effect.

Has anyone ever run into this?
    Question, have you changed the VIN to match the vehicle and its parameters ID segments in the Calibration Details?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kostelacd69 View Post
    Did you ever figure out what was causing the 744 rpm desired idle speed?
    No. But it might possibly be related to the two VINs issue (see my post below).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ItzMayed View Post
    Question, have you changed the VIN to match the vehicle and its parameters ID segments in the Calibration Details?
    It has been a while since I worked on this issue. The ECM I was working with was programmed using GM's SPS so I assume it had the correct VINs and ID segments programmed to it for my VIN. However, until recently, I was unaware that the ECM stored two VINs in its programming. The second VIN is only visible in HP Tuners after you read the tune from the ECM, which is displayed in Calibration Details>Controllers. GDS2 Module ID information does not display this 2nd "hidden" VIN, and sometimes this second VIN does not get changed when reflashing an ECM using SPS (as I learned later when reprogramming used ECMs from other vehicles). A VIN mismatch can cause licensing issues in HP Tuners.

I don't recall if the 2nd VIN got changed when reflashing the new ECM I was experiencing the 744 rpm desired idle speed and IMMO relearn failure issues with. I can tell you that this was a brand new ECM purchased from a 3rd party wholesaler off the internet, so it is possible it could have been defective. One of these days when I get time, I'll revisit this issue and see if I can figure out how to solve these problems - since I still have this ECM laying around. The factory warranty has since expired on my truck so I just went ahead and edited the tune in the factory ECM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Performance View Post
    It has been a while since I worked on this issue. The ECM I was working with was programmed using GM's SPS so I assume it had the correct VINs and ID segments programmed to it for my VIN. However, until recently, I was unaware that the ECM stored two VINs in its programming. The second VIN is only visible in HP Tuners after you read the tune from the ECM, which is displayed in Calibration Details>Controllers. GDS2 Module ID information does not display this 2nd "hidden" VIN, and sometimes this second VIN does not get changed when reflashing an ECM using SPS (as I learned later when reprogramming used ECMs from other vehicles). A VIN mismatch can cause licensing issues in HP Tuners.

I don't recall if the 2nd VIN got changed when reflashing the new ECM I was experiencing the 744 rpm desired idle speed and IMMO relearn failure issues with. I can tell you that this was a brand new ECM purchased from a 3rd party wholesaler off the internet, so it is possible it could have been defective. One of these days when I get time, I'll revisit this issue and see if I can figure out how to solve these problems - since I still have this ECM laying around. The factory warranty has since expired on my truck so I just went ahead and edited the tune in the factory ECM.
    Edit: I've just noticed this is an old thread... my bad lol. Anyways;

I've been working on those E90 ECMs for Silverado 2019+ instead of E92A, you'd be surprised how to change the VINs on those since HP Tuners hardware unlocks those ECMs. It is pretty tricky to change the VIN on them unlike by just going to VCM Scanner and editing the VIN there after licensing.

You'd be surprised at how long it took me to learn about how SPS2 sends in the compressed OS calibrations and stuff around it. So when you got the Security relearn issue, I immediately jumped at the VIN mismatch being a possibility.