Thread: New Tuner help!

Potential Tuner

New Tuner help!

Im new to tuning. Just purchased HPT. Just finished my car that already came with a tune from the previous owner/builder. The car runs well, idles fine and I can drive it with zero issues. At WOT it is very rich. In the neighborhood of 8.5 afr. I would like to start correcting this issue.
    Car has many mods on the series 2. Hybrid m112 supercharger, cam, Intercooler, Northstar throttle body lq4 maf balance shaft delete. Custom heads roller rockers.
    Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated

When you ask a question it is mandatory in almost every single case to provide your current tune at a minimum. Then list a specific concern. If at all possible it is also very helpful to have a nice scan of the vehicle. That means as long as possible that includes the issue you have a problem with and the time stamp it occurs. If more general help then you need a longer time/distance recording including steady state loads and WOT.

Is there a web tool out there anywhere that you can input the phrase 'my car', and get an output of actual year/make/model/engine RPO? Like a decoder of some sort?

Potential Tuner
    The car is a 2002 grand prix gtp. Engine l67
    This is the tune in the car along with a lengthy log file. I do have a wideband but am waiting for the serial buss cable from hp tuners to connect it the the HPVI2. There are a few wide open runs in the log. one such run is at 6:24:48.

aug272023log2.hpl
    Attached Files Attached Files

If it's really getting that rich, you need to fix the MAF curve to take fuel away.

I would also zero out the PE add vs TPS table and you will also want to make the cat over temp commanded AFR match the PE's commanded AFR so it's not changing the value on you.

That VE table is kinda stupid looking, not sure who did that stuff to it. I've never tuned the VE table on the 3800, they are a MAF based system and nobody I know ever tuned the VE either.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That VE table is kinda stupid looking, not sure who did that stuff to it. I've never tuned the VE table on the 3800, they are a MAF based system and nobody I know ever tuned the VE either.
    Some of those L67 ECUs came with that same exact VE table. I know, odd right?
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

theres some validity to tuning the VE on some of the maf-based fwd v6 models. Transients on several of them, including several of the L67's ive messed with do in fact reference the VE table. ive tested an untuned VE against a tuned VE and the difference is definitely there. however as stated, theyre maf based, so the difference isnt phenomenal. but there is relevance to the VE on certain ones.
    regarding your VE, its pretty wonky looking, and that MAF curve seems pretty sharp to me like it could use lowering

this is what you have.
    weird ve.png

this is more what you would want it to look like
    normal ve.png
    Sometimes money isnt an issue, sometimes it is. Sometimes time is an issue, sometimes it isnt. Never at the same time are they both not an issue.
    -79 c10 8.2L th400 holley efi. T6 s480 coming soon.
    -99 lumina 3100, 2 bar- SD60, 255lph, with a T04e
    -03 trailblazer, soon to get a S366

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for thenreply and advice. The question I do have is what pid's to log and what is the best way to change the maf curve slowly. Again I'm new to this and don't want to make drastic changes that could harm the motor.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by GinoXL View Post
    Thanks for thenreply and advice. The question I do have is what pid's to log and what is the best way to change the maf curve slowly. Again I'm new to this and don't want to make drastic changes that could harm the motor.
    Thanks again
    get your wideband functional, then log commanded AFR against the widebands measured AFR for the open loop portion of the maf. this is called AFR error. create a graph in your scanner that replicates your MAF calibration table. log afr error over it.
    for closed loop (mostly everwhere 6000hz and lower) , i'd just disable LT from the scanner, and correct the maf using ST only when in closed loop.
    Sometimes money isnt an issue, sometimes it is. Sometimes time is an issue, sometimes it isnt. Never at the same time are they both not an issue.
    -79 c10 8.2L th400 holley efi. T6 s480 coming soon.
    -99 lumina 3100, 2 bar- SD60, 255lph, with a T04e
    -03 trailblazer, soon to get a S366