Thread: torque trans damage

Tuner

torque trans damage

I was at another forum, that someone mentioned they had all their torque management turned off on a baseline 3.8 or 3.4L Impala ( DO N OT KNOW WHICH ) . They mention doin' WOTS from standstill, and WOTS from 30 - 40 mph. Someone in the know said that with torque management turned off, each time they did that it uses 10% of the trans life. I was thinking what about auto trans in the 70's and 80's I had a friend in HS that had a TORINO he would do WOTS from every speed. No PCMs back then. So have trans gotten weaker or what ?
    Last edited by v i k i ng; 09-13-2006 at 12:41 PM.

I could of had a V8

I did my brother in law's 2001 Impala 3800, and disabled the trans torque reduction for the upshifts and downshifts. Only do this if you have the base shift pressure set up so there is no wot upshift slip.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    got it,,, wot upshift slip
    is that something that i would look for in a pid / histogram or would that be SOTP driving ?

I could of had a V8

Interested to know what that means too russ. I have disabled all TM and increased my line pressures. Things seem to be good thus far (80000km's) but I know I'm playing with fire with the stock 4t45e
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

I set the base shift pressure on the Impala by adding 0 psi @ 0 ft lbs torque and 60 psi @ 640 ft lbs. To do this first type in 0 to the 1-2,2-3 & 3-4 rows at the 0 ft lb column. Then type in 60 to the 640 ft lbs column. Now highlight the whole table and hit the Interpolate Between Horizontal Bounds button, copy this table, then click the Undo All changes button. Now using Paste Special > Add to the shift pressure table. The table will max at 96 psi by default at the high torque columns. This way you add allot of shift pressure at WOT, but just a little at low throttle. Of course you can change the pressure to suit your car/shift firmness.

And I zero out the 100 psi column of the force motor table just in case the shift pressure exceeds 96 psi.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    Pretty slick there bud^^^^^^^^^^

Tuner
    Mine already progessively goes up to 80 at 640ft lbs, is that too high ? higher number more pressure right ?

I could of had a V8

The 01 Impala I tuned, the 1-2 shift pressure is 96 @400 ft lbs, the 2-3 is 96 @ 460 ft lbs, and the 3-4 is 96 @ 400 ft lbs.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    ok,

I have a LA1 ( 3.4L ) w / 4T65E , will I see 640lbs of torque ? I think I only put out 180 hp ?

I could of had a V8

Quote Originally Posted by v i k i ng
    I have a LA1 ( 3.4L ) w / 4T65E , will I see 640lbs of torque ? I think I only put out 180 hp ?
    No sir! Dont make that assumption either! I did, and look at me. I lost my first trans in 7K miles!!!

Heed the warnings even if they dont make sense! lol