Thread: 0411 PCM SWAP Questions

Tuner in Training

0411 PCM SWAP Questions

Hello, all Newbie to PCM Progamming With some questions.

I have a 1997 Chevy Suburban K1500 with a new L31R Crate engine in it. I installed the Chevrolet Performance Hydraulic Roller Camshafts 12677151 (Duration at .050 in. 215/223, Lift .473/.473), New Style Fuel Injection Spyder, and Doug Thorley Headers. I installed E-fans from a 2002 GMT800 Suburban.

Knowing these mods would be beyond the capabilities of the stock computer I planned on doing a 0411 PCM Swap and aquired a 0411 PCM from a 2002 Suburban w/ the 5.3l.

My intention was to program this with a tune to add the efans and handle the cam and headers. Bought a MVPI2 in February with 2 credits thinking this was all I would need.

Finally finished all the mechanicals and was ready to tackle the swap. I planned to program the computer (built a bench cable) with a tune from the repository from an 2002 Chevy Van with the L31.

I made my attempt the other night, connected my 0411 to the bench cable loaded the 2002 Chevy Van file from the repository and wrote it to the PCM. It stated it completed successfully and I closed the program, packed up my stuff and went home as I had done this after work at my desk.

I get home and hook everything back up to look at the the pcm and save off the new file and the PCM won't read. [detect protocol failure]

I contact support, send all the logs, after their analysis they tell me.

"Hi David,
    This ECM that you read and sent the information in on is in need of being replaced. I can't explain what caused it to die but it will need to be replace."

and

"Hi David,
    It is possible that a file was not compatible, really can't say on a PCM that was 17-20 years old. Unfortunately the license will be lost on this PCM and changing it to the new one will cost to re-license."

No explanation of what occurred. I have no idea if I did something wrong or what, the PCM read w/o incident several times before writing the new tune to it.

Can't read the logs, they're encrypted and now I'm out $100.00 in licenses.

OK live and learn, I goto the wrecking yard and find a 2002 GMC Savana with the 5.7L L31 in it and I buy it and bring it home. I figure, "hey this already has the tune I need right, just a few modifications."

So I want to make sure that I'm doing this right this time.

Looks like I'll need to buy 2 credits to license this PCM. Once I do I can go in and do the following:

• Disable VATS and EGR
    • turn on EFans
    • Set tire size (35")
    • Adjust shift points
    • Figure out how to clean up the idle and adjust for the New Fuel injectors (running rich now)

What I don't want to do is brick another PCM.

Is this a sound plan of action?

Thanks in advance,

Dave R.

Tuner
    I did a 411 swap from a 1997 Black Box a year or so ago. I had already upgraded the spider to the new style, and added a small cam. I started with the express van tune with nothing more than vats/egr/canister purge removed. It started and ran great. I didn't have to make any changes to injector size. With the cam, depending on size, the PCM will learn what it needs after some miles.

If the cam is big, you'll need to adjust the idle rpm to the sweet spot between cam chop and pushing against the converter (stock stall?)

If the initial start up isn't pretty, like it wants some throttle upon crank to keep it running, you can add air in the Base running air flow table.

See This:

https://youtu.be/o_2gtlGy_UU?list=PL...4Igjgtfb4TxnTR

I've tuned several cammed engines, 5.7, 5.3, etc. to get the startup dialed.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the reply,
    This is the CAM I'm running. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12677151
    Idle is a little low.
    I'm going to put the computer in this Saturday and I will report back. Off to watch video now.

Quote Originally Posted by wlwarnke View Post
    I did a 411 swap from a 1997 Black Box a year or so ago. I had already upgraded the spider to the new style, and added a small cam. I started with the express van tune with nothing more than vats/egr/canister purge removed. It started and ran great. I didn't have to make any changes to injector size. With the cam, depending on size, the PCM will learn what it needs after some miles.

If the cam is big, you'll need to adjust the idle rpm to the sweet spot between cam chop and pushing against the converter (stock stall?)

If the initial start up isn't pretty, like it wants some throttle upon crank to keep it running, you can add air in the Base running air flow table.

See This:

https://youtu.be/o_2gtlGy_UU?list=PL...4Igjgtfb4TxnTR

I've tuned several cammed engines, 5.7, 5.3, etc. to get the startup dialed.

Tuner in Training
    Got the PCM in today with no missed wires. Truck fired right up. Running rough, need to adjust idle. Drove it around the block and trans did not shift right. Not sure if it was because I had not yet hooked up the trans range switch wires or if it was because the tune I used was from a 2500 with a 4L80e not a 4l60e. I'll do trans range wires tomorrow, but I'm guessing it is the 4L80e code. I did a segment swap on a copy of my file and will see what happens after I get the trans range wires hooked up.

Picked up some DTC's also:

0x10: P0300 - Random Misfire Detected (Pending)
    0x10: P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Light Control Circuit (Pending, History)
    0x10: P0717 - Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor A Circuit No Signal (Current, History)
    0x10: P1404 (Pending)
    0x10: P1637 (Current, History)
    0x10: P1638 (History)
    0x10: P1665 (Pending)

Will be looking in to these.
    Last edited by davkenrem; 07-15-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Tuner in Training
    Wow, what a difference, I went through and rechecked all my pins. Had two in the wrong spot, one in a not used location and the other which was for the trans line pressure in the wrong place.

Then I double checked my Tune file from the 2002 GMC Savana 2500 which had the 4L80e and compared it to the file I had from the 2002 Chevy Express 1500 with the 4L60e.

Made sure they both had the same OS and they did and I brought over the Trans and Trans Diag segments. This got rid of the [P0717 - Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor A Circuit No Signal ]

I went through through the engine diagnostics and turned off the following:

0x10: P1404 (Pending) ?Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Closed Position Performance?
    0x10: P1637 Generator L-Terminal Circuit(Current, History)
    0x10: P1638 Generator 'F' Terminal Circuit (History)

All these were recommended in Lextech's doc's

Unplugged EGR.

Then wrote the new configuration to the PCM. Idle was still slightly rough and still set too low after loading tune but Trans was almost perfect. Drove it up the street and got it up to 55mph, trans shifted better and shift points were better than Stock PCM.

The eFans worked fantastically!!

Came back and cleaned up as it was about 8pm by then. After getting something to eat, I watched the videos you sent on adjusting the idle. I made adjustments just like he recommended and loaded those configs this morning. It's running really good.

Did a CASE Relearn.

Couple of DTC's remain:

0x10: P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High (Pending, Current)
    0x10: P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Light Control Circuit (Pending, History)

Will investigate these.

Only other thing is that the trans shift points, particularly 3-4 and 4-3 seem off. I have to rev engine fairly high to get it to down shift to third. So I need to do some research on adjusting shift points.

Anyway it's coming together. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by davkenrem; 07-20-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling