Thread: Could I swap a LF4 into a 5th Gen Camaro?

Potential Tuner

Could I swap a LF4 into a 5th Gen Camaro?

Hello, I have a 2012 v6 Camaro that I've been working on a custom twin turbo setup for. And I've been wondering if it would be possible to swap a LF4 into it instead? Obviously fitment wouldn't be an issue. But I'm mainly in question about if the LF4 ECU would be able to communicate to my BCU? And would I need to get and use an ATS-V fuse box or if my Camaro fuse box would work.

Potential Tuner
    Bump. Trying to revive this question.

Advanced Tuner
    I think this would have a reasonably good chance of working - if your car was a 2014 or newer. The LF3/LF4 uses the E92, which is essentially a more powerful version of the E39 that's in your car. Unfortunately, they changed a bunch of inter-ECU comms stuff around 2014, which might not work with the rest of your car (or possibly even the transmission).

Which brings us to another challenge: the LF4 cars use the 8sp transmission with the T87 transmission controller. Your car has a 6sp auto with the T43 in it. However, the XTS VSport with the LF3 also used the T43 transmission controller (though, those are FWD/AWD), so if you used an LF4 engine, with a 2016 XTS LF3 calibration as a starting point, then copied all "the LF4 stuff" over, you might have a chance of making this work.

Either way, I think you're going to be splicing together the engine harness from the ATS-V with your transmission harness.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!