Thread: Editor shows TPS voltage but no TPS percentage (%)

Tuner in Training

Editor shows TPS voltage but no TPS percentage (%) *Fixed* .

Editor shows TPS voltage but no TPS percentage (%)

What causes this? Is something turned off? Wiring appears to be OK.
    One of the uploaded tunes and its corresponding running data file attached. Also the tune I used as a base reference. Some other inputs are from a stock 8.1 and some form the Pontiac engine. A mix & match at this point but just going for a starting point.

Background info:
    Checked TPS, have 5V , Ground and 'linear' signal output.
    Accufab throttle body which uses the LT1 TPS. 0-5V . Although WOT on TB is only 4.14V. Closed is 0.43V.
    Scanner reads corresponding TPS voltage and is in agreement with TPS voltage output on TB relative to throttle opening percentage
    ECU (0411) is pinned accordingly
    Engine is a 455 based Pontiac in a 78 Trans Am
    Yes, firing order is different. Injectors and coils have been repined on the ECU accordingly. (3,4 & 7,2 cylinders switch). Could have changed that in the ECU but wasn't aware at the time I was doing the wiring.

ECU was from an 01 or 02 Suburban 5.3 which was flashed to SD 1 bar & removed VATS. At least that was I believe I did. (fairly basic operation)

From the tune repository, I used an 01 camaro w/ same TB & SD tune for most of the tables via copy/ paste as a starting point. Not saying the reference is perfect but its a starting point.

We have idle and start. No big issues there for the time being.
    When throttle is cracked, aside from occasional instances where I can get a decent rpm increase, it mainly shutters and can kill the engine if left open due to lean mixture. That's based on the WB O2 which is off the charts lean (17 +)

Went through tables and menus , but not finding where I can put the TPS voltage range and / or a location for the TPS to turn on or off if such an option exist.

O2 sensor readings are not in line with each other but that may be another issue.

Any input is appreciative.
    Last edited by Takid455; 07-04-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Could be because the systems options still shows a "1" next the GMT-800 platform with a ETC or drive by wire throttle body.

You want to set that to 0 because of the cable throttle body. I think that change will require a write entire.

You also need to set the MAF dtc's to MIL on first error to revert to speed density straight away. You don't want them set to no error reported.

Another thing here too, the computer is saying you have 30% alcohol content in the fuel. If you are not running a flex fuel sensor you will want to disabled the flex fuel feature in the calibration so it can only command the correct stoich for the fuel you are running. Which is most likely E0 or E10 pump gas, those stoich values would be 14.68 and roughly 14.2 depending on what fuel you are going to run.

Make sure the exhaust is complete too, otherwise you will get very bad wideband readings and o2 sensor readings. And that fuel pressure is correct for the flow rate of the injectors.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I'll address those bits and see what happens. Exhaust is complete.
    Did plug in another 411 ecu from an 02 truck and had TPS reading percentage solidifying the sensor ad wiring to be good.

The platform setting would be causing some issues.

Tuner in Training
    Addressed the above recommendations. Platform, DTC's & stoich. TPS % reading if good.

Now we have a lean condition almost as if fuel is being cut off or the added air from the increased tps openning is not being acounted. This occurance is around 5% TPS opening. Doesn't matter on temp or rate of openning be it a slow progression or a rapid openning. If throttle is held open ecu/ engine seems like its trying to correct itself resulting in a surge. Obiously its going lean. Looks like when the MAP drops below 60 -55 and heads towards 40 kpa this occurs. Its like an on / off switch. Idle is currently mid 12's AFR. Obiously a bit rich but its behavior is similar to how it acted prior with the old Holley Projection system.Idle needs more fine tuning but its doing something.

This is most like something that existing before the above changes. Need to seem what is off. Wonder if such a thing as flood clear mode is kicking in? Have that set at 85% TPS. WOuld the LS3 MAP sensor have anything to do with this as its range differs from the LS1 MAP? Set the parameters to 128.13 w/ -0.31 offset. Anything else needed to be done for this conversion?
    Last edited by Takid455; 07-04-2019 at 07:45 AM.

To put it lightly, nearly everything has to be covered just to make it work right. Changing parts and putting in the correct settings for various injectors, map sensor etc etc is one thing, making it run with those parts is another.

This is going to require a ton of work to fix the airflow model using a wideband o2 sensor. The stock narrow band o2 sensor can't do the correcting enough and these computer can not self tune. I don't have another log to look at but if your o2 sensors are still staying around 50mv, you'll want to address that problem.

Check your fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge too. You'll want 58psi roughly all the time if that is how you setup your injector information. Assuming the injectors you have flow the flow rate listed at 58psi.

The main goal is to get the primary VE table close just about everywhere before going too in depth with certain idle changes and timing corrections. The VE is going to be controlling your fueling.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Totally understand the mountain I'm climbing. May not know the height of it but do know its tall.

Fuel pressure gauge (electric) shows 60 psi. Close enough for now.
    Injectors are 42 lbs/hr @ 58 psi (stock LS3)

Went and started with the new base file and converted it to SD. Left timing alone. Did one with base VE and one with VE * 1.25. Log for the later tune didn't pick up all the channels. The 1.25 chart also had the correct injector flow rate inputed. Do need to redo the scanner channels to get more data. Followed a tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQhoETdsRg) on disabling fuel trims, Fuel cut off, torque managements, ect , ect. This was as a new base.

AFRs much better in the 14.5 +/- 1.0 range depending on engine speed and temp. Idle is better. Still have the same tip in issue. Feel its something aside from the VE table being its consistant regardless the tunes/ changes to the VE and timing table(s). Even tried some extreme valves. Something stupid but overlooked. Tip in can be very gradual and pause as you go, but once that certian spot is reached, it goes dead lean. I say dead lean as my WB gauge only goes to 18 and if throttle is held open (say >50% guessing), engine will become quiet as if the injectors are not firing. ECU does a decent job trying catching itself if you open and close the throttle (feathering), but ultimately, throuttle will need to be under 5% tps and idle resumed. Is there a MAP or ETC table or parameter that's being missed? Maybe a MAF table that its looking to find once its off idle? Perhaps its not switching into SD mode once off idle and is not seeing the VE table?

Attached are the files & coresponding logs.
    Last edited by Takid455; 07-04-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Starting a new thread as the initial TPS issue is resolved

new thread for current issue:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...995#post576995
    Last edited by Takid455; 07-04-2019 at 01:01 PM.