Thread: What's up with the customer service?

Potential Tuner

What's up with the customer service?

Am I experiencing an isolated event, or is the customer service for this pretty crappy? I sent a request off to clarify how to setup Serial port connections, and I got "I can't tell you how to hook it to the serial port. You would want the Pro Feature set." back as a response. No explanation to the problem, just "spend another $250 bucks to use a feature we've advertised as functional out of the box."

This response sounds a lot more like, "I'm not going to take the time to explain how to do this, because you're not worth my time."

I'm not an idiot and get how capitalism works, but if you're going to bait-and-switch me, at least explain it in a civil and respectful manner.

Advanced Tuner
    Not to start an argument or anything and I'm saying this with no offense and disrespect... At least they give the option to use serial or AC/EGR input without the pro feature set. Even if you purchase HPT for one car the features without PRO still make one heck of a deal. $300 for the unit and $100 for license. Vs what SCT or restricted handhelds cost. So $400 total and you get full data logging, access to your ECM parameters, and some configuration to log a wideband. Most basic handhelds are expensive and can't do much.

What if HPT hired support staff for things like this. That would create more overhead, risk, and payroll. End result would be higher cost for HPT and licenses. Not something a lot of people want. (Including me). Most things can be found online too.

Anyways, what are you trying to hook up? When I had a LC2 hooked up that way I just selected the serial connection for LC2 under my PID list. It didn't work at first an that was due to my usb to serial adapter. I purchased a better one, downloaded the driver and it worked.

Again, not trying to disrespect you or anything but just giving you my thoughts based on your post.

Potential Tuner
    No disrespect taken. I wasn't complaining about the product itself, just the way customer service handled my email. I don't even mind being told I don't know how to help you, but the response I got was just plain disrespectful and dismissive.

It ended up being a simple solution, all I had to do is restart my computer with my serial/usb adapter plugged in for it to recognize it in VCM.

It still doesn't connect sometimes, but it's still better than having to log it individually.