Thread: Nervous and afraid to pull the trigger

Potential Tuner

Nervous and afraid to pull the trigger

disclaimer: Im a Super Noob when it comes to tuning

So Im a regular car guy. I do most mechanic work myself but I recently took on a big project(big for me at least). I picked up a 07 escalade with a bad lifter. I was hoping to get away with just a cam and lifter job but that quickly turned into a complete rebuild after further investigation (found tons of metal glitter in the oil). anyways 2 months later and a ton of Ebay/rockauto/amazon parts I got her together again with a few performance parts (stage 2 cam, valve springs, polished valves, shorty heaters, injectors and a bunch of stuff I can't remember). long story short I had worked with a diablo sport tuner a while back when I fixed up a 5.7 hemi I had a while back but I was trying to take it to the next level with a mpv12 tuner (haven't pulled the trigger but its in my cart) but after watching a few vids on youtube its a bit overwhelming. truck runs like shit right now but that's expected after deleting the dod and putting in the new cam. any advise you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I would buy the mpvi2 and have it remote tuned. There are a TON of guys out there who remote tune and can get it running. Then u can decide if you want to learn (read forums, youtube, The tuning school, Evans performance academy) and slowly make changes yourself. Or just have it tuned at sell the mpvi2 when you are done. You are already invested in the truck with all the parts so what do you have to lose! goodluck

Potential Tuner
    Definitely recommend reaching out to a professional tuner or getting started by learning how to do it yourself from a reliable source.

It's not easy, if that were the case everyone would be doing it!

You're on the right path when it comes to getting started, but it may be in your best interest in the meantime to take the vehicle to a professional so you can ensure its done right in a short amount of time.
    Tuning takes practice and a lot of time and patience.

If there's any way I can help, whether it's helping find you a suitable tuner or helping you get started with the proper literature, feel free to send me and email at [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Lots of remote tuners and dealers here who would be happy to help get you setup and started as well as a remote tune to get the vehicle going. Let me know if I can help!
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    I’m in a similar position. One thing I’m not clear on is whether I can buy a PCM from HP without having the Suite with which to send the file they require; can that be done with the MPVI2? And about that tool, would I only buy the non-pro version since I don’t want to start out tuning myself? And if so, is it upgradable to the Pro if/when I decide I’m ready to dip into the tuning waters?

Potential Tuner
    I?m also not sure how the credits work. Some cars use more then 2?

Quote Originally Posted by PaVaSteeler View Post
    I’m in a similar position. One thing I’m not clear on is whether I can buy a PCM from HP without having the Suite with which to send the file they require; can that be done with the MPVI2? And about that tool, would I only buy the non-pro version since I don’t want to start out tuning myself? And if so, is it upgradable to the Pro if/when I decide I’m ready to dip into the tuning waters?
    They don't sell you a computer for 99.9% of vehicles. The LP5 diesel trucks and the new ZR1 corvette need a new computer from them. You need the MPVI2 to use on the computer in the vehicle already.

Quote Originally Posted by IOwnYouToOo View Post
    I?m also not sure how the credits work. Some cars use more then 2?
    Yes, some are 2. Some are 4 or 6 etc. It just depends on the vehicle and how many controller you have to unlock.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    How do I find out how many credits I would need?

On the main website you can find the vehicles section. Then find your manufacturer and then the year/model on the list.

A 2007 GM truck/suv like the escalade is 2 credits for the PCM and TCM.

Some vehicles in that era also have a 1 credit cost to control the fuel pump control module which is on many flex fuel vehicles but it is not something you have to license.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    They don't sell you a computer for 99.9% of vehicles. The LP5 diesel trucks and the new ZR1 corvette need a new computer from them. You need the MPVI2 to use on the computer in the vehicle already.

Yes, some are 2. Some are 4 or 6 etc. It just depends on the vehicle and how many controller you have to unlock.
    I'm getting a 2019 Challenger; I'll require a second PCM. Based on what I've learned elsewhere tonight, looks like I need to buy the VCM Scanner and credits before I order a PCM.

Well I guess you'd need a 2nd computer if you can't have your vehicle down for any period of time. I only know that the newest Chrysler products need that unlock service where you send in your computer to be unlocked and it's mailed back, then you need the smart access cable from them as well.

I did look on the site just now, looks like you can purchase a new modded computer straight from HPT for a dodge if you wanted to go that route.

https://www.hptuners.com/product/pcm...ation-service/

https://www.hptuners.com/product/new...modified-pcms/

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Well I guess you'd need a 2nd computer if you can't have your vehicle down for any period of time. I only know that the newest Chrysler products need that unlock service where you send in your computer to be unlocked and it's mailed back, then you need the smart access cable from them as well.

I did look on the site just now, looks like you can purchase a new modded computer straight from HPT for a dodge if you wanted to go that route.

https://www.hptuners.com/product/pcm...ation-service/

https://www.hptuners.com/product/new...modified-pcms/
    It?s not so much a matter of downtime as it is not wanting my OEM computer replaced or hacked. If the dealer wants to see whether I?m running a tune, he?ll be able to no matter what; but no sense in waiving a red flag with an obvious replacement PCM.

My original question was whether I had to buy the VCM or could I get away with just the MPVI2 to create the file required to buy the PCM.