Thread: Whipple problems on 2017 Silverado

Potential Tuner

Whipple problems on 2017 Silverado

Hello guys,

I just installed a 2.9L Whipple kit on my 2017 Silverado 5.3L. I am on the fifth calibration revision sent by Whipple and the truck still drives terribly (although it is better than where we started). Any kind of throttle input causes bucking, hesitation, surging, etc. I had a CEL on the initial calibration and I traced it to a damaged spark plug wire (I caused this when I was changing the plugs). I replaced wires and no CEL since. The NGK plugs they sent with the kit are properly gapped at 0.035 as they advise. The logs still show some misfire but no CEL. Do the plugs need to be gapped closer? I don't know if this is actual misfire or not.

I can feel the power is there trying to come on, but something is holding it back and I have to very gently ease into the throttle to avoid the symptoms.

Whipple has the tune locked so I cannot even view the parameters. All I can do is write it to the truck.

Here are the last two driving logs. Maybe someone can see something amiss here?

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sounds mechanical like a vacuum leak. Sorry don?t think it?s the tune

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nicul15 View Post
    Sounds mechanical like a vacuum leak. Sorry don?t think it?s the tune
    OK. What specifically makes it sound like a vacuum leak? I don't know where I could have a vacuum leak - all the PCV hoses are routed correctly and are locked into place snugly.

Potential Tuner
    You should be able to write whipple’s tune and then read it with vcm editor and you’ll be able to save and edit it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
    You should be able to write whipple’s tune and then read it with vcm editor and you’ll be able to save and edit it.
    Nope. Whipple has it locked. "Read" button is grayed out after you write the Whipple tune to the truck. All you can do is write another tune over it. Can't even view it, much less edit it.

I?d fog it. What about the port seals by the heads. Don?t they use spacers there?

Potential Tuner
    No spacers. Seal grooves are machined into manifold just like the stock plastic manifold.

So it uses stock gaskets? Were they new or did you reuse them?

Potential Tuner
    Yes, it reuses stock rubber gaskets. My truck has 38,000 miles on them and were in new condition.

If they are more than 5,000 miles use new ones. Gm service manual says new EVERY time.

I can?t say how many ppl chase their tail because of this

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lapoolboy View Post
    Nope. Whipple has it locked. "Read" button is grayed out after you write the Whipple tune to the truck. All you can do is write another tune over it. Can't even view it, much less edit it.
    Mine was readable after. I just had to be sure I didn't have a tune opened.
    Here are the two I got from Whipple after I wrote then read them back to make them editable. The first one was bad and they sent the second one to fix it.:
    2017Silverado_20200825_5.3L_WHIPPLE_Editable.hpt
    2017Silverado_20200826_5.3L_WHIPPLE_Editable.hpt

I've also put the one that was on my truck as I am running it now because I have 37 inch tires.:
    2017Silverado_20200826_5.3L_WHIPPLE_37inchTires.hpt

And this one is as I rec'd the truck from the previous owner.:
    2017Silverado_20200824_5.3L_WHIPPLE_AsDelivered.hpt

-Batsy

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nicul15 View Post
    I?d fog it. What about the port seals by the heads. Don?t they use spacers there?
    Still try this. Could be a cut injector O-ring(s) as well.

I was under the impression that the gen 5 tunes could not be locked.

Tuner in Training
    Take it to a local speed shop with a dyno and have them tune it. When I got my Magnuson SuperCharger they sent a tune with a handheld programmer and it ran like crap. I already had a tuner lined up but had to run their tune to get it to the shop to get it properly tuned. You will thank yourself later...won't be cheap with the credits and dyno time but it will be well worth it...Look for a reputable tuner in your area....

Tuner in Training
    @nicul15 I am with you on that. When I put my Magnsuon SuperCharger on my truck the instructions said to reuse the same O ring gaskets from the manifold. I bought new ones because the last thing I wanted to do was pull the supercharger off because I was being cheap for what I think cost me less than $30.....

Tuner in Training
    Anyone else have this problem or know what the OP found?

Did you change the throttle body?
    If so you will need to make some changes to the tune for that.

These engines/ecu's run off of commanded TQ

Make sure you vaccine bypass is hooked up correctly.

TCS on these trucks will cause bucking once you start spinning the tires. Might look into adding a disable switch as that's how I dealt with ours.

The disable switch can be emulated by unplugging the front left abs wheel speed sensors. While this will disable some other systems it's the only way.

I would suspect your TCS system might be a little angry. I've seen a lot about these newer trucks not liking tire size changes so much. Tuning can help overcome some of that but we can't tune the Traction Control unit at this time.

Tuner in Training
    Did smoke test found vacuum leak at heat exchanger seal as it exits SC