Thread: Question about some tables

Potential Tuner

Question about some tables

Howdy Folks,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this post.

Here's some back-story:

2016 Dodge, Charger, Hellcat. I road course the car a few times a year. About a year ago, I decided to do a DS PCM swap. I had the car tuned via an email. Car ran fine. Had the same dyno numbers as when it was stock. Time slips from the track aren't a good source of data for me because I basically suck at the quarter mile track. One day after being out on a road course the car threw the P0430 code (O2 sensor). I took the car to the shop and the mechanic, and everyone else in the shop thought for sure the custom email tune was too lean because it trashed both cats. A leak down test was preformed and the cylinders scoped. Everything showed that the motor appeared to be fine. I had the cats gutted. After some discussion, it was decided that I must have burned out the cats when I ran the car low on fuel and took a couple of tight turns really aggressive (the car did go into limp mode when I tried to accelerate really hard while coming out of the turns).

So, I wanted to know what this guy's email tune looked like. Everyone was convinced the tune was too lean and contributed to burning out the cats. I bought the HP Tuners package and credits. I compared the email tune and the stock tune. The dude hadn't done anything other than change all fan speeds to high at 185 degrees, and gave it some higher throttle response. So, basically he didnt' do much of anything. Tuner for sure did not tune the car too lean.

Ok, so now I wanted to do a proper tune. I connected with a modern hemi tuner who provides a dyno tune. I told the modern hemi tuner the story above. He said before he would do the tune he wanted to make sure the fuel injectors were good. I agreed. I bought new 775cc injector, and for S&G put on a flex fuel kit. Other than fuel injectors and flex fuel kit the car is stock. I also had the stock injectors sent out to get flow tested. They came back good. Oh, i also replaced my spark plugs. With my untrained eyes, the original plugs looked fine too. I was expecting to see the ends melted off or something.

The hemi tuner used my computer, HP Tuner and credits to tune my car. This way I can look at the tunes, and, maybe try to learn a little something about tuning too.
    The other night I got bored and started looking at hemi tuner's tune and comparing stuff. Basically, none of it made any sense to me. But some thing did catch my eye. reference picture below

Under Engine-Torque Management-Driver Demand and buttons (tables) Power % Request Mode 5 and Expected Pedal Mode 5. These two tables are configured different than how all the other tables look under this tab.

question file.jpg

All the other Mode tables look like the example below.

compare tables.jpg

Should I make the Mode 5 tables look like all the other Mode table under the Driver Demand tab?

What are all these different "Mode" ?

Also, under Engine Diag-DTC's is there a way to be able to widen the alpha-numeric code column (on the left), and the other two columns on the right? I can't get these columns to budge. I have VCM Editor Version 4.4.2

DTC.jpg

One other question. To turn off a code under the DTCs, do I uncheck the boxes that goes with a particular code to have the check engine light and code from popping up? I just had a different O2 sensor code pop up the other day.

I am also going to try to attach a couple of logs to this post. I would like to hear what you all have say about this tune? The current tune with 75% Ethanol with the flex fuel kit made 684rwhp on a DynoJet. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GN...dEbz0myFaB_DV9 i could only attach one log. That's a link to my other log. We'll see if it works.

Thank you all for your time. I appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm lost myself, but try contacting Mike at OST Dyno in westeren Pa , he's real good with the Hellcat's and Demon's

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rednug View Post
    Howdy Folks,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this post.

Here's some back-story:

2016 Dodge, Charger, Hellcat. I road course the car a few times a year. About a year ago, I decided to do a DS PCM swap. I had the car tuned via an email. Car ran fine. Had the same dyno numbers as when it was stock. Time slips from the track aren't a good source of data for me because I basically suck at the quarter mile track. One day after being out on a road course the car threw the P0430 code (O2 sensor). I took the car to the shop and the mechanic, and everyone else in the shop thought for sure the custom email tune was too lean because it trashed both cats. A leak down test was preformed and the cylinders scoped. Everything showed that the motor appeared to be fine. I had the cats gutted. After some discussion, it was decided that I must have burned out the cats when I ran the car low on fuel and took a couple of tight turns really aggressive (the car did go into limp mode when I tried to accelerate really hard while coming out of the turns).

So, I wanted to know what this guy's email tune looked like. Everyone was convinced the tune was too lean and contributed to burning out the cats. I bought the HP Tuners package and credits. I compared the email tune and the stock tune. The dude hadn't done anything other than change all fan speeds to high at 185 degrees, and gave it some higher throttle response. So, basically he didnt' do much of anything. Tuner for sure did not tune the car too lean.

Ok, so now I wanted to do a proper tune. I connected with a modern hemi tuner who provides a dyno tune. I told the modern hemi tuner the story above. He said before he would do the tune he wanted to make sure the fuel injectors were good. I agreed. I bought new 775cc injector, and for S&G put on a flex fuel kit. Other than fuel injectors and flex fuel kit the car is stock. I also had the stock injectors sent out to get flow tested. They came back good. Oh, i also replaced my spark plugs. With my untrained eyes, the original plugs looked fine too. I was expecting to see the ends melted off or something.

The hemi tuner used my computer, HP Tuner and credits to tune my car. This way I can look at the tunes, and, maybe try to learn a little something about tuning too.
    The other night I got bored and started looking at hemi tuner's tune and comparing stuff. Basically, none of it made any sense to me. But some thing did catch my eye. reference picture below

Under Engine-Torque Management-Driver Demand and buttons (tables) Power % Request Mode 5 and Expected Pedal Mode 5. These two tables are configured different than how all the other tables look under this tab.

question file.jpg

All the other Mode tables look like the example below.

compare tables.jpg

Should I make the Mode 5 tables look like all the other Mode table under the Driver Demand tab?

What are all these different "Mode" ?

Also, under Engine Diag-DTC's is there a way to be able to widen the alpha-numeric code column (on the left), and the other two columns on the right? I can't get these columns to budge. I have VCM Editor Version 4.4.2

DTC.jpg

One other question. To turn off a code under the DTCs, do I uncheck the boxes that goes with a particular code to have the check engine light and code from popping up? I just had a different O2 sensor code pop up the other day.

I am also going to try to attach a couple of logs to this post. I would like to hear what you all have say about this tune? The current tune with 75% Ethanol with the flex fuel kit made 684rwhp on a DynoJet. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GN...dEbz0myFaB_DV9 i could only attach one log. That's a link to my other log. We'll see if it works.

Thank you all for your time. I appreciate it.
    Post your tune file. Have you looked at the fuel>temperature control settings? Anything changed in there on the first "tune"? Might explain the melted cats.

The driver request & expected mode tables are supposed to be inverse. It looks like the .11 is supposed to be 11 to me.

Try changing the screen resolution on your laptop to see if that helps viewing the DTCs.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you spoolboy for the reply back.

I adjusted screen resolution to allow me to view the entire DCT table. Thank you for the tip.

I also adjusted the Request and Expected mode tables.
    Last edited by rednug; 07-20-2019 at 12:40 PM.