Thread: MPVI2 Write Failure

Potential Tuner

MPVI2 Write Failure

I'm working through an issue writing calibration with my new MPVI2. I had found a few posts with somewhat similar symptoms but nothing that helped to get the car back going. I stumbled on something that worked so I thought I'd post the story in case it will help someone else.

It connected and read the stock tune no problem (GM E67 ECM). I made some changes to the idle tables and went to write it back up. It connected, went through the initialization steps, erased, and then on write it failed after few percent and said timed out. I tried it again and it failed right off and again said timed out. Many more tries, lots of cursing, same failure and at different points in the process. Dead car of course.

I submitted a ticket to HP but it was Saturday and I took the risk and kept working at it. I tried three different computers (and every USB port on each one), as well two other USB cables I had. I tried the released and beta VCM editor, tried the stock tune, different sequences of power up and device connections, no change at all. Still failed at random points in the write process. I did finally give up and waited for HP to reply.

HP got back to me Monday and by Wednesday they said it was a communication error, and they suspected my OBD2 wiring. Suggested I try a bench harness. I didn't really agree since it's an unmodified GMPP harness and I had connected other devices to it before without issue. But, it wasn't impossible so I gave it a try. I made the bench harness and still had the exact same issue. I happened to find a short 6" USB C to A cable yesterday that I had here for whatever reason so I tried that - and boom! It wrote flawlessly on my bench setup. I'm not going to push my luck by verifying with more write attempts but it did read no problem, both on the bench and back in the car.

So, it seems to me there's something sketchy with the USB communication on the PCM and it's going back to HP Tuners. At least the car is back running in the meantime! I'll post an update when I get it resolved with HP.
    Last edited by Brad-C; 07-11-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Potential Tuner
    The PCM went back to HP and they told me yesterday they didn't see a problem with it when they tested it. I reiterated everything I went through trying to get it to write and they decided to replace it. I'm supposed to get it back today. I'll post an update once I get to it.
    Last edited by Brad-C; 07-12-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I tried the replacement out today and it worked just fine with the 6 foot USB cable, through the car harness. Seems pretty clear there was something wrong with the USB interface on the last one.

HP support was good with fast replies and very fast shipping at their expense. But, they jumped too quickly to blaming everything but the unit itself despite the amount of data I provided to the contrary. I have no idea how they couldn't replicate the problem but at least the new one is working for me.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad-C View Post
    I tried the replacement out today and it worked just fine with the 6 foot USB cable, through the car harness. Seems pretty clear there was something wrong with the USB interface on the last one.

HP support was good with fast replies and very fast shipping at their expense. But, they jumped too quickly to blaming everything but the unit itself despite the amount of data I provided to the contrary. I have no idea how they couldn't replicate the problem but at least the new one is working for me.
    MPVI failures both 1 and 2 are FAR more rare than a pc/wiring related issue I'm talking 1 out of 1000 odds so asking for the ecm first in this case is pretty common.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I had to replace my MPVI2 cable this weekend. Left my personal F150 stranded for a few hours after several write failures. Only used the supplied MPVI2 cable a handful of times too... Had my Android phone charger in the truck, used that cable and all worked as normal and recovered the PCM.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    I had to replace my MPVI2 cable this weekend. Left my personal F150 stranded for a few hours after several write failures. Only used the supplied MPVI2 cable a handful of times too... Had my Android phone charger in the truck, used that cable and all worked as normal and recovered the PCM.
    Yeah unfortunately usb cable failures can occur, we suggest that if you are still under warranty and have a USB cable failure to contact support and we can ship you a new one. Sorry to hear you had an issue with yours.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    That happenes to me aswell i gues i will get a hold of the to see if i can get a replacement

I'm having the same issue with it failing mid flash consistently saying timed out. But mine was tune related, or so i had thought. Some tunes were fine and others weren't, i had tunes i knew i couldn't flash without a 100% chance of that error occurring. Well i updated the software recently and it failed first flash. I thought ok, maybe something is not happy with the software update ill load my old tune and it loaded perfectly. A couple days go buy i try to make changes to the tune, i got to flash and it failed. I then Tried going back and it failed, it got to where it wouldn't take any tune at all, kept getting time out randomly and consistently. So i changed the USB ports on my tablet and it worked twice in a row. But now i'm nervous to test it further lol. My USB ports sit 90* from one to another so IDK if it's the cable or the USB port giving me these issues. Still Kinda weird some tunes wouldn't flash but others would even prior to this consistent flash timeout failure.

Advanced Tuner
    Mines failing mid write on a F150. Won't detect my mustang, and giving me issues connecting to my Silverado. HP suggested a bench harness. Doing the same thing. I updated the device firmware and this started. The day it happened I was writing to the Ford with no issues. Updated the firmware and it failed the next write. I'm going to try a new USB cable. Hopefully that works. If not I'll follow up with support. Bummer this is happening 😭

i did something simila on my 2004 gmc sierra
    tried to write or flash a few minor calibrations and it times out and fails. tried two usb wires. same result. i got my hptuners a week ago.

i really dont want or think i need a bensh harnes...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-C View Post
    I'm working through an issue writing calibration with my new MPVI2. I had found a few posts with somewhat similar symptoms but nothing that helped to get the car back going. I stumbled on something that worked so I thought I'd post the story in case it will help someone else.

It connected and read the stock tune no problem (GM E67 ECM). I made some changes to the idle tables and went to write it back up. It connected, went through the initialization steps, erased, and then on write it failed after few percent and said timed out. I tried it again and it failed right off and again said timed out. Many more tries, lots of cursing, same failure and at different points in the process. Dead car of course.

I submitted a ticket to HP but it was Saturday and I took the risk and kept working at it. I tried three different computers (and every USB port on each one), as well two other USB cables I had. I tried the released and beta VCM editor, tried the stock tune, different sequences of power up and device connections, no change at all. Still failed at random points in the write process. I did finally give up and waited for HP to reply.

HP got back to me Monday and by Wednesday they said it was a communication error, and they suspected my OBD2 wiring. Suggested I try a bench harness. I didn't really agree since it's an unmodified GMPP harness and I had connected other devices to it before without issue. But, it wasn't impossible so I gave it a try. I made the bench harness and still had the exact same issue. I happened to find a short 6" USB C to A cable yesterday that I had here for whatever reason so I tried that - and boom! It wrote flawlessly on my bench setup. I'm not going to push my luck by verifying with more write attempts but it did read no problem, both on the bench and back in the car.

So, it seems to me there's something sketchy with the USB communication on the PCM and it's going back to HP Tuners. At least the car is back running in the meantime! I'll post an update when I get it resolved with HP.