Thread: mpvi-2 vehicle diagnostics protocol not detected ONLY ON GM VEHICLES.

Tuner in Training

mpvi-2 vehicle diagnostics protocol not detected ONLY ON GM VEHICLES.

the vehicles that the editor and scanner will NOT work on:
    03 gmc 2500 6.0L p59 ecu
    03 p59 6.0L ecu in a 86 c10 pickup... always worked before the past few days.

plugged it into my ford powerstroke and girls 07 mazda and scanner and editor work JUST FINE.

anyone else ran into this issue?

TIA.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    like an internal VPW chip issue, sounds like you will need to upgrade your interface to MPVI2 in this case as we no longer service MPVI1's
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

No, never had any issues logging P59 computers. Weird you'd just start having issues out of the blue.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    like an internal VPW chip issue, sounds like you will need to upgrade your interface to MPVI2 in this case as we no longer service MPVI1's
    excuse my ignorance here, but it is a mpvi2.. I don't understand?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by c10turbolsx View Post
    excuse my ignorance here, but it is a mpvi2.. I don't understand?
    In that case I would recommend opening a support ticket for further assistance.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner

GM P59 issues

Wow, I have been hunting down gremlins on GM P59 as well. MPVI2 Pro and I tuned the 03 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L a few months ago. Now it is having issues uploading but if I wait overnight, then it will upload. We did find a faulty electric brake controller traced to a BCM parasitic drain but it had that before. After a failed write, bootloader or controller unlocker timed out message, the truck was dead. It started to write then quit and sometimes made it to erasing, or bootloader, sometimes not even past the controller unlocker. If we waited overnight it would accept the file upload. Scanner worked as long as the tune was loaded in ECU but would not connect if upload failed.

I will be updating this on Monday when I get back to the truck. My 2006 Suburban 5.3L P59 had an issue too. VCM Scan was connected, turned off car then restarted and some channels stopped reporting at startup and engine runtime counter did not poll showing 0 during whole drive. At the time I didn't know it was not working, I should have stopped scanner and restarted VCM log and may be why it "lost" polling on those channels, IDK. Scanner worked fine after arriving and restarting again for drive back. My ticket has been submitted and all looked good on that end, hope it is an isolated event, but saws this and now concerned. I used 4.4.4 in the past on these units no issue, running 4.6.3 now. I am not saying its the VCM, both trucks have plausible reasons failing to connect but your thread got my attention!!

BTW If I uninstall 4.6.3, and install 4.4.4 again can I use the compare file to update those older files with the new data? I created the original files in 4.3.xx or 4.4.4 and want to update the tables I changed recently using 4.6.3 I realize the 4.6.3 files won't upload a tune in 4.4.4 but can they at least open as a compare? Would I lose the tunes and logs I made in 4.6.3 in the folders inside HP Tuners file if I uninstall 4.6.3 and install 4.4.4 again? A lot of work but I could save tables in excel right,before/if uninstalling and paste them into 4.4.4 tune ?

Advanced Tuner
    Update. We installed the beta version 4.7.1xx and after letting truck sit for a long time, disconnecting battery, the file did upload. The MPVI2 had a .10 amp draw on battery and after unplugging it and reconnecting the battery we were successful. Has anyone else tried waiting overnight and been successful?

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2009 LS GMC L9H 6.2 in a 56 Chevy and I've always used the beta version and lately I've been having the same issue. Additionally it sometimes will crank and crank and not fire. Check DTC's and none shown. First thing in morning after disconnecting battery all nite it fires first crank and runs great. Go to a store, come out and it won't fire. I'm using MVP2

In the interest of full disclosure I'm a newbie and just learning.

Advanced Tuner
    Nice power plant. I have not had a hard restart issue only an upload issue that I have to wait until next day to "talk" to computer. 56 Chevy do you have to feather the throttle to get it to first start cold? Scan for ECT. When does it have trouble starting or restarting?

Tuner in Training
    No, in the morning it fires right up first time, run it awhile say 30 minutes and it acts like a "carburetor heat soak" will crank and crank. Dakota Digital shows while cranking 11.5 volts. No DTC's.

I submitted a support request, but no success yet.
    Last edited by 56chevy; 05-06-2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: adding information

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 56chevy View Post
    No, in the morning it fires right up first time, run it awhile say 30 minutes and it acts like a "carburetor heat soak" will crank and crank. Dakota Digital shows while cranking 11.5 volts. No DTC's.

I submitted a support request, but no success yet.
    It may be that the timing just needs updating in THAT temp range. Check your Cranking/Start spark table, look around the temp you are having trouble and bring up to 4 or 5 deg. from 200+ deg. and entire RPM You probably had low crank advance at operating temps. You will know quickly if that's the root cause.

Tuner in Training

56chevy

Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    It may be that the timing just needs updating in THAT temp range. Check your Cranking/Start spark table, look around the temp you are having trouble and bring up to 4 or 5 deg. from 200+ deg. and entire RPM You probably had low crank advance at operating temps. You will know quickly if that's the root cause.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Throttling doesn't help, I even got so frustrated I hit it with ether (whew) a couple times which I suspect could interfere with MAF. Still wouldn't fire and throttling on ether had no effect. If it sits with key off about 45 minutes when at operating temp it fires right up and runs fine. I will try your suggestions first thing tomorrow. Also first thing in morning it fires first crank. I'm beginning to wonder if it may be something mechanical.
    Last edited by 56chevy; 05-07-2020 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Advanced Tuner
    Was the car running fine then suddenly have this issue or is this plaguing you from the beginning install? The fact that throttling isn't helping restart, I look forward to the result from table suggested set to 4 or 5*. If that doesn't help when it fails to start at warmer temp have you checked for spark? Did you get a used harness or build/ buy one?.

You are right about that mechanical gremlin. Sometimes a laptop is not going to fix it.
    Have fun and stay tuned.