Thread: How lean do you think you can go with E85?

How lean do you think you can go with E85?

Not for maximum performance per say, but this is more for consistency at the track. Something I've noticed with my car is that when it gets really heat soaked, it will drop .03-.04. But all it takes is for the car to sit a little bit and it will pick that back up in one run.

I want to get the car to not move around as much when heat soaked. So I'm thinking of running a bit leaner.

I currently run E85 at 31 degrees of timing at .857 WOT (knock sensors shut off both for adding and removing timing).

What is everybody thoughts on reducing timing and going leaner or other tactics to prevent ET from moving around when heat soaked. Again, ignoring optimal performance.

Also as an fyi I have the IAT adders also zeroed out. So no timing is being removed when the IAT is very hot too.

What size engine? 31* seems to much

Ahh right I should have mentioned this is the coyote and it's NA. Specifically in my case it's in a 2011 Mustang. 31* is perfectly safe at .857 with E85. I have probably close to a thousand WOT trips down the drag strip setup there with the knock sensors completely shut off. When I first set it up here and data logged with the knock sensors on, I could go up to 34* without any knock. But above 31 it wasn't making any more power, so that's why I ended up at 31. But I feel like I could safely go a bit more lean with a few degrees of timing pulled.

Advanced Tuner
    You should try richening it up to .78 at WOT and see if it likes that.

Adding more fuel will do the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve though. More fuel will equal higher swings in performance when the car heat sinks and then cools off in a matter of minutes. I need to go leaner.

Advanced Tuner
    I've ran .88 lama and 32* of timing, there is not much power to be had going that lean though, ended up settling on .855 and 32* of timing.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to the track friday and this and shift points are what I will be messing with to see how it affects et.

.84-.85 lambda these cars like to be on the richer side for max power