Thread: AFR Targets?

Tuner in Training

AFR Targets?

I have done quite a bit with aftermarket standalone systems/tuning, and as always it feel like starting from scratch when starting with a new tuning software. The one thing I either can't find, or is not in a typical format is a target AFR table. I want to do some VE Table tuning, but don't want the system to be fighting my changes based on an AFR table that I can not find to adjust. I am currently just playing with my 2003 5.3 Suburban to gain a better understanding of the software in preparation for my upcoming swap in my 1964 Impala (Which will either be a 5.3 or 6.0 depending on the donor I will buy in January). For now, I am gathering parts, and trying to learn the software. So far I have the car to be swapped, the new intake manifold to replace the truck manifold, and the MPVI2. I am getting more comfortable with the software, just having a few small issues that searching has not answered. Mainly just trying to figure out where the AFR Target table is for 02 correction is at this point. Thanks for any help!

Advanced Tuner
    There's no AFR target table like you're used to seeing. It's going to target the stoich AFR set in the file. Some are a single parameter, others are a table based on alcohol content. For WOT fueling it uses EQ ratio. Under the power enrichment tab. EQ is inverse of lambda, I.e. (stoich/desired).
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Advanced Tuner
    As above.
    I would say knowing how to tune dedicated standalone Ecu's really does screw you over when you then learn to tune factory Ecu's. There are so many limitations and differences it can be quite frustrating knowing how easy it is to do certain things in other Ecu's!

with your background simply adjust injector parameters properly then guess VE table values just like with other stand-alone or using common sense.
    Then log a/f in open loop, use logged data to modify VE table, I would leave it in open loop, basically done

I've never needed to mess with targets because you are adjusting VE based on wideband feedback.
    And closed loop is inferior IMO. Unless you are not the owner of the vehicle then I could see why you would want it.

Tuner in Training
    OK, so basically, the targets can't be adjusted (The ECM just wants 14.7 AFR all the time?), but if I just keep it in open loop, and tune it they way I want (I am very comfortable doing that), I should be able to get what I want out of it. I would love if there was a way for HP Tuners to offer a reflash deal like they do with the MAP sensor based tunes, and allow you to adjust a dedicated target table, maybe even feed in your widebands programmable output into a factory 02 sensor pin... Seems doable... Thanks for the input!

Advanced Tuner
    Factory O2 sensor is 0-1v, wideband is 0-5v so that won't work. I don't really see a reason for you to need to adjust the AFR targets all over the place really anyways. If you really want to do it, you can run the enhanced SD OS (assuming its available) and use the VE table multiplier to lean out/ richen up as desired.

I don't really see any benefit to this though.

Quote Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
    OK, so basically, the targets can't be adjusted (The ECM just wants 14.7 AFR all the time?), but if I just keep it in open loop, and tune it they way I want (I am very comfortable doing that), I should be able to get what I want out of it. I would love if there was a way for HP Tuners to offer a reflash deal like they do with the MAP sensor based tunes, and allow you to adjust a dedicated target table, maybe even feed in your widebands programmable output into a factory 02 sensor pin... Seems doable... Thanks for the input!
    okay wait

there are all kinds of targets in the ECU. Are you referring to VE stoich or closed loop stoich. Because narrowband oxygen sensors cannot be 're-configured' but some wideband can be set to 0-1v analog for closed loop target other than 14.7.

You can do the same thing with open loop programming and it should work out better over time because no computer correction means the maps need to be more finely tuned to begin with.

Advanced Tuner
    He is asking for something like the base fuel table in a Ford or AFR target table like in a standalone is what I'm gathering.

maxresdefault.jpg