Thread: possible rich condition 2014 mustang

Tuner in Training

possible rich condition 2014 mustang

Recently I've noticed black dust buildup on the rear bumper and around the rear quarters. I can't pinpoint when I first noticed this.

This is a 2014 5.0 tvs car with a vmp tune and has been essentially unchanged for four years. I run pump fuel with 4oz boostane additive per tank and have an offroad H pipe with stock headers and a borla touring exhaust. The car seems to run fine and I can't tell any obvious difference as of late. WOT logs from a couple months ago looked OK Lambda was 0.78-0.80.

While there are other possible explanations I would like to exclude a rich run condition during idle and normal cruise. Can someone please let me know what monitors I should watch when logging and what would be a red flag for rich result? I can log 30 seconds of idle, normal acceleration from a light up to 50mph, and 30 seconds of 40mph cruise.

Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    Clean it all up and see how fast it builds up. Track how often you are @ WOT and keep an eye on the accumulation.

Log short and long term fuel trims, WB EQ ratios (Lambda), and commanded lambda for each bank. Then you can see if it's super rich or not with just normal driving.

All that said it's an offroad pipe... I would imagine it puts out a lot of pollution
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Your engine might be giving up - check your PCV for excessive vaping.

Tuner in Training
    I run breathers and haven't noticed any excessive oil accumulation on the filters. Other than white output in cold condition, there is no obvious smoking from the car. No black or blue that I've noticed.

LTFT are disabled in the tune.

Regarding STFT, WB EQ, and commanded Lambda what values to look for would indicate an excessively rich condition?

I'd suggest compression check.

What injectors do you have there?

Advanced Tuner
    If the car has no cats, I would expect some soot build up to be normal on a supercharged gasoline fueled car.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    ID1000 injectors.

Compression check is $250 at the dealer for that cost I might as well just buy my own test kit and do it myself. And that isn't off the table considering compression check is actually a fairly easy thing to do and pulling the plugs probably wouldn't be a bad idea either at this point. I have a brand new set that I haven't put in the car so why not.

Might open a ticket with vmp as well and see what they have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide_NVN View Post
    ID1000 injectors.

Compression check is $250 at the dealer for that cost I might as well just buy my own test kit and do it myself. And that isn't off the table considering compression check is actually a fairly easy thing to do and pulling the plugs probably wouldn't be a bad idea either at this point. I have a brand new set that I haven't put in the car so why not.

Might open a ticket with vmp as well and see what they have to say about it.
    250? Do they check it with golden tool 999 times? Tool cost 40 - DIY.

As mentioned some buildup is normal even with stock exhaust. Excessive buildup might be related to fouled plugs or leaky injectors.

You can change the plugs and test your injectors next.

Check your o2 sensors as well.