Thread: S550 Comp NSR Cams No Start

Advanced Tuner

S550 Comp NSR Cams No Start

I am running into an issue with a car that refuses to start. Here are the mods

2015 Mustang GT MT82
    Kooks Long Tubes
    2018 Intake Manifold w/ IMRC's locked out
    Comp NSR Cams
    JLT CAI
    Stock Throttle Body
    Ford Racing 60lb Injectors
    Currently on 91oct

The car came to me with a mail order tune for the JLT and exhaust. The owner of the car had lost his handheld, so I just pulled that file out, and I am assuming the MAf curve is at least close for the JLT. All I changed was the injector data, the intake manifold volume, and turned off the IMRC's. The car will start for a few seconds, then die. 'Spark Source' is "Torque Control", and 'Throttle Angle Source" says "FMEM - Pedal Follower", and the wrench light is on the dash. There are no codes.

I would assume that the car should at least start and idle without touching anything in the VCT tables, so I could at least get the MAF dialed in. Do I need to make some adjustments to the torque tables just to get it going? What doe FMEM mean?

Advanced Tuner
    FMEM=Failure Mode Effects Management. Something is significantly off in the tune or a critical sensor has failed. In my experience I've seen it when torque output of engine was substantially higher than requested torque creating a HUGE IPC Error spike and subsequent limp mode.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Advanced Tuner
    What could cause that? IPC Wheel Torque Error is zero, but the car never settles into idle.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is the log of it starting and then dying

startup and die.hpl

Tuner
    What are you reading the codes with, vcm scanner? I have had the wrench light and fmem and tried to read codes with the vcm scanner and nothing. I scanned for codes with my Ngauge and it found the codes and cleared them. May be worth a shot to hook up another code reader. With all that is going wrong there has to be codes

Advanced Tuner
    I actually just tried with my snap on scanner and it has no KOEO codes, but it does have a P0100 code pending. I'll look into that.

I was able to get it to run briefly by adding a ton of fuel to the maf curve (130%). The IPC error went to 850 before it coughed and died. I'm stating to wonder if whoever installed the cams got them timed wrong and fuel isnt getting into the cylinders.

Advanced Tuner
    Look into the fact that you're showing almost no MAF reading . Definitely seems like you need to ADD a ton to it.

This is a good reason to go into limp mode my torque issue was just one example. Any sensor or anything that's way off can do it.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.

Advanced Tuner
    Heh I was writing that last reply from your log (and doing some other stuff) and then I hit refresh and saw the additional replies. Yeah MAF seems really low I get at least 1lb/min at idle speed, 750rpm however it is a little hard to tell because you're logging MAF at a slow rate. Switch off of those SAE channels, they are terrible.

Advanced Tuner
    Dude, I owe you a beer. I thought about what you were saying so I pulled the maf to clean it, and guess what? It was in the intake tube backwards. Fires up and idles just fine now.

Let this be a lesson. Don't let people from IG install cams in their garage for you.

(Disclaimer: this is not my car, and I don't know who did the work)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by doc350 View Post
    Dude, I owe you a beer. I thought about what you were saying so I pulled the maf to clean it, and guess what? It was in the intake tube backwards. Fires up and idles just fine now.

Let this be a lesson. Don't let people from IG install cams in their garage for you.

(Disclaimer: this is not my car, and I don't know who did the work)
    LOL nice job man. Knew something was crazy off lol.