Thread: !!!48RE 2nd Gear Lockup in Drive Achieved!!!

Banned

!!!48RE 2nd Gear Lockup in Drive Achieved!!!

Screenshot of a datalog for 48RE trans tuning on a 2006 Megacab showing 2nd gear lockup in Drive!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    No trickery with a manual lockup switch or anything, purely stock transmission, only modification to the engine aside from tuning is 50hp injectors.

Nice, did you achieve that using HPT? Also what logging software is that?

Banned
    I did it on UDC Pro RT, that is the datalog viewer that comes with UDC Pro RT. This can be achieved on HPT as well. Don?t know how many people have said over the years that 2nd lockup cannot happen in drive with the 48RE and yesterday I received a datalog if adjustments I did to a tune to find 2nd lockup in drive had occurred.

Heck yeah always nice to see the impossible done haha! Thanks for sharing and furthering the progression.

Sweet

Tuner in Training
    Awesome!

Potential Tuner
    Hi what did you do to get 2nd gear lockup I don?t see your pics

Banned
    There?s a calibration revision where Chrysler activated manual 2nd lockup, getting it happen in drive is a different story and not consistent.

Tuner in Training
    question. is the TCC circuit a pwm circuit? I know that the solenoid has a relay controlled 12v+ but is the negative side from the pcm just an on/off ground or a pwm ground? im having an issue wheras in 4th gear with pcm commanded lockup the TC unlocs @25-40%. unlocks even with a lockup switch on and grounded through resistor as well. Are the 2004.5 48re's mechanically designed to disengage the torque converter over 25% throttle or does a hidden pcm parameter cut fluid pressure at that throttle range to the tcc fluid circuit? parts included in build is a goerend triple disk lockup converter, hardened shafts, etc etc. thanks

Banned
    Something isn?t right if you have a manual lockup switch turned on and it drops out lockup if you go above 25% throttle.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Something isn?t right if you have a manual lockup switch turned on and it drops out lockup if you go above 25% throttle.
    found out most of the issue. The previous owner had a custom cmr tune done and the file was corrupt. I ended up buying an edge ht2 tuner and tried out all the tunes. great tunes and power levels but all had the same torque converter lockup issue when using the switch except for the tow tune. I could engage the switch in any gear but it would still slip under moderate tps % except when the computer was commanding lockup along with the switch. then it would stay locked in at any boost but was limited to what gear I was in. id like to get away from the switch so I finally broke down and bought the credits from hptuners. I have no problems tuning transmissions with hptuners and have tuned several makes and models in the past. The problem I am having is that on my 2004.5 ram cummins, the lockup tables have zero effect when adjusted. I read somewhere that there were hidden limiters/parameters etc., that have to either be added or switched off for the lockup tables to function. What I am trying to achieve at the moment is basically locking 2,3,4th gear 100% of the time while in drive (during upshift/downshift from no pedal or with 100% pedal) with added gov pressure to the safe max, to accommodate the lockup while shifting as well as the added benefit of better hold while in lockup. also to change the min shift pattern while locked to never change into the next gear until the previous gear rpms are high enough that the next gear engages at over 1250 rpms when locked. basically I want to only use the stall for 1st gear and part way into second gear then have the transmission shift like I would in a standard. Hope that makes sense. Anyways, how would I go about getting you to turn off all the limiters associated with the shift schedule and the torque converter so I can tune my rig? Do I need to purchase "user defined parameters" or do you do that on your end and all I do is send you the stock base file and whatever else you need? lmk what I need to do. thanks

Banned
    Sounds to me like you are slipping under power. A manual lockup switch completely bypasses ecm control of the torque converter to make it stay locked up while the manual switch is on. If it?s ?unlocking? under throttle when the manual lockup switch is on you are probably slipping the converter and nothing in the ecm will help you.

Tuner in Training
    Ive fixed the transmission and am ready for you to take off the limiters. I sent you a pm but wasn't able to send the tune file on here so I am posting it here. dan dodge ready tune.hpt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman1 View Post
    Ive fixed the transmission and am ready for you to take off the limiters. I sent you a pm but wasn't able to send the tune file on here so I am posting it here. dan dodge ready tune.hpt
    PM sent.