Thread: 2014 Mustang Coyote A6. Hard limit at 7000 RPM

2014 Mustang Coyote A6. Hard limit at 7000 RPM

Combo is stock minus Edelbrock supercharger track kit and meth injection, I have changed every variable I can find, Can't seem to get past 7000 rpm. I also applied the rpm patch. Log shows limit in burnout and in 3rd gear on 1/8th mile drag race and tune attached. this is my own tune, pretty sure if someone looks they could find other problems too. It has gone best of 6.9 @ 103 in 8th mile on Et Street SS tire.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Disable Vid in the Speedometer tab and calculate your N/V Ratio, also in the speedometer tab.
    Disable Shift Anticipation in Transmission > General, set Max Accel to 100, increase your shift RPM and see how it rides. Increase your rev limiter as well to 7800. If YOU it to shift at xx mph and 6500 RPM, it could take over 1000 RPM to complete the shift and you could hit a limiter.

I am looking to move the limiter up from 7000 to 7400, all limits that I can find have been adjusted to 7400 but I still hit this mystery limiter. I have been able to adjust my shifts points successfully to race at 6900 rpm. I Just know my dyno curve shows power still climbing and want to add a bit more rpm.

Advanced Tuner
    your tune needs a lot of work, I touched a few things, but noting near what you have to do...this should get you shifting higher

Some things you need to do:

- either find the correct injector data for the car or dial in your MAF
    - based on fuel pressure data it looks like you don't have a return style fuel system...22*+ of spark on a boosted car run-in 93 octane is a bad idea...you're going to melt or break a piston...

i accept donations_even 20 bucks would be nice.hpt

Thanks for the info I will take a look and see what I can learn.

But just so you know what I am up to.

I have a water meth system with 100% meth through a large nozzel and am running 106 octane fuel. Logs show knock system is still adding 1 to 2 deg through the entire run. This is not the timing tables I run on pump gas.

Maf curve has been leaned out some from what edelbrock provided to make up for the methanol. Meth comes on at 6k Hz and full at 8khz. It's an older mafu controller from snowboost. Still have fuel trims of -5 to -15 on 99% of WOT. And cruise fuel trims are with 10%.

Fuel injector data is what was provided from edelbrock.

So I had a look at the tune you sent, I will try it, but I am concerned that you only made changes to limits that I already head at 7400 or to part throttle shift tables. To my current understanding, if it hits a hard limit at 7000 then raising limiters from 7400 to 8000 or 16000 in some cases is not likely to help me out. The MAF curve you adjusted would be correct minus the meth injection, what you have drives fuel trims off by 20% or more with meth active, it looks very much like my non meth injection tune maf curve. I also see part throttle limits changed, not sure what that means in regards to full throttle limits.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapo View Post
    So I had a look at the tune you sent, I will try it, but I am concerned that you only made changes to limits that I already head at 7400 or to part throttle shift tables. To my current understanding, if it hits a hard limit at 7000 then raising limiters from 7400 to 8000 or 16000 in some cases is not likely to help me out. The MAF curve you adjusted would be correct minus the meth injection, what you have drives fuel trims off by 20% or more with meth active, it looks very much like my non meth injection tune maf curve. I also see part throttle limits changed, not sure what that means in regards to full throttle limits.
    There is no "part throttle" shift tables, there is only shift tables by mode(with most of those mods not being used on a mustang), those shift tables I modified are the shift tables that need to be modified to increase/decrease shift RPM. Copperhead ECMS shift based on MPH, not RPM, Tri-cores shift based on OSS.

I didn't know you had Meth, ignore my MAF changes then, but def take the other stuff. Also lower you spark, thats too much timing for unleaded fuel, even with meth, keep it in the 21* range if you want it to live a decent life, 21+ you will see very diminished returns

My concern about shift rpms is not in my ability to get the shift to command with targets to complete after 7000. I have no problem adjusting that, the problem is when I do rev the motor over 7000 rpm there is a hard cut limiter. It can be in any gear and it can even be in manual mode on the dyno. If I set the various limiters to less that 7000 it get normal 'bap bap bap" limiter if I set limits over 7000 I get a hard cut at 7000 with over 1000 rpm of rpm drop before engine makes power again.

The current timing was setup on my dyno with 20 degs commanded with huge gains to that point (90 HP over same temp pump gas only tune). I only used pump 91 and meth on the dyno and then use 106 and meth on race day as a safety margin for the long loads and heat soak of race day. Because fuel octane is great and meth is great I am getting points where the knock system is adding up to 2 degs (current limit) on top of base tables, even on race day heat soak. That is where the 20 + timing curve comes in. I actually ran (by mistake) the current tune minus meth on the dyno and it made exactly the same power as my normal pump gas tune with fuel trims plus 25% and knock system pulling 6 or more deg of timing. Actually very amazing what this copperhead ecu can do, on a bad day on most open loop WOT ECUs that could have been the end of an engine.

Ok, so that did not work, but I have found some more info. If I get the shift done before 7000 rpm TPS stays 100%. If at anytime during the shift rpm exceeds 7000 throttle is chopped to 50% or lower until the shift is complete. Seem like torque management only above 7000 rpm, but I am pretty sure I have that turned off.

Some quick screen shots.

Torque management tab,
    torq.PNG

Quick log with Jn2 tune,
    boglog.PNG

Quick log with my tune before I tightened up the shifting today. TPS on shifts over 7000 is obvious.
    softshiftwith spin but no bog.PNG

Found when limit is active torque source goes from driver demand to engine oil over temp to engine speed limiter to engine oil temp and then back to driver demand as the power is restored.

Adjust EOT max to 7500 from 7400, no change. If I do not hit the limiter hard to does not show engine speed limit as torque source. So if I could find out where it's got this EOT limit in its brain I could fix this, but as of right now at 7000 rpm torque source goes to engine oil overtemp. And that 7000 is not referenced as a limit in any EOT values I can change in tune.

Tuner in Training
    Are you using a wyn4 cal?

Quote Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
    Are you using a wyn4 cal?
    I have been just working off the Edelbrock calibration that came with this supercharger kit. I am pretty sure it is FSFD1AA, if I am looking at the right data.

It seems if I could adjust Max RPM vs EOT I could fix this. Turns out that what I was adjusting was oil temp for was decel fuel cut, can't seem to find any place to adjust Max RPM vs EOT. Right now the engine stops Reving when torque source goes to oil overtemp.

I did find this but even set at 7400 the torque source changes to Oil overtemp at 7000.eot.PNG