Thread: She's a brick!

She's a brick!

So I'm pretty sure I bricked my ecu this weekend. My MVI2 no longer can read or write into the ecu and it does not recognize the ecu information like vin number or operating system when I plug it in. I'm assuming I will need to license the new ecu? What, if any issues will I need to address with the VIN number or vats on a different/used ecu? Any last tips on trying to save this ECU are also appreciated. Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    You'll need to use credits to license the ECU. You can then write entire your original file, or just make the necessary changes to the replacement PCM and turn off the VATS. Changing just the VIN can sometimes cause a VIN/OS mismatch leading to issues or needing more credits again.

If you're worried about the VIN matching, you could also have a shop or dealership do a factory flash for you VIN so everything is back like stock. You will still need credits to license the replacement PCM going this route too.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    You'll need to use credits to license the ECU. You can then write entire your original file, or just make the necessary changes to the replacement PCM and turn off the VATS. Changing just the VIN can sometimes cause a VIN/OS mismatch leading to issues or needing more credits again.

If you're worried about the VIN matching, you could also have a shop or dealership do a factory flash for you VIN so everything is back like stock. You will still need credits to license the replacement PCM going this route too.
    Thanks for the response. I just ordered the ecu and plan to write entire my last file. If I write entire the file will I still need to deal with vats? Thanks again, I appreciate the info. This may be my last shot on this budget project.

Advanced Tuner
    I would turn the VATS off, yes.

If you ordered a reman PCM from a parts store or dealer, it will need a factory flash first since they come blank.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Potential Tuner
    Houseeee
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

229/244 .629/.615 114 with DOD delete
    1-7/8 LT headers
    Rotofab Intake
    2500 Stall
    Tune

419whp/413ft.lbs

Senior Tuner
    In the future try and give less details about what you are working with/on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    In the future try and give less details about what you are working with/on.
    Great point. This is an e78 from a 2014 chevy spark. I added a turbo from a 2016 chevy cruze and a flex fuel sensor/injectors and walbro pump. I'm struggling to learn this gen 5 torque based tuning. In future posts I'll include logs and tunes. I was just curious about vats in general but to your point, details are crucial.

So the ecu I received was the same hardware but different OS. The ecu was from a sonic not a spark but same year. I licensed the new ecu and was surprised to see it was only 2 credits instead of 4. I then did a write entire of a file from my previous ecu that was licensed and turned vats off. Car starts and is exactly like it was before.

I have not changed the vin and when I read the file it says sonic. All the tables in both files are the same just different I puts. Everything seems fine, is there any need for me to change the VIN? Thanks for all your help.

Change the VIN only if the emissions testing people require VIN matching in your state. Otherwise, I'd drive on. Nothing to see here and these are not the droids you were looking for.

Rick

Thanks Rick!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
    So I'm pretty sure I bricked my ecu this weekend. My MVI2 no longer can read or write into the ecu and it does not recognize the ecu information like vin number or operating system when I plug it in. I'm assuming I will need to license the new ecu? What, if any issues will I need to address with the VIN number or vats on a different/used ecu? Any last tips on trying to save this ECU are also appreciated. Thanks!
    How did you manage to brick it?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    I would turn the VATS off, yes.
    If you ordered a reman PCM from a parts store or dealer, it will need a factory flash first since they come blank.
    By factory fresh, do you mean to first write full, the entire tune captured before any changes made OR is this something only a stealership can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
    How did you manage to brick it?
    I became really complacent and was doing a lot of flashes to get the car to idle. It sat for a while and the battery was getting low in the car. Once the car died during a flash but I was able to rewrite it. It was acting different during the flash process after that and finally, it just would not finish the writing process and I could no longer read the ecu. Long story short I was lazy. Now, I have the battery fully charged or plugged in when I write a new tune.