Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: 6L80 lockup or non Lockup ???

Tuner in Training

Discussion: 6L80 lockup or non Lockup ???

Hello

I have Discussion regarding for TCC lockup, what your suggestion for street racing ( not drag ) for the Tcc Lock up ? what did you feel your car its better if you lock up or non lockup the TCC ? My TC circle D 3200

please advice
    Last edited by Rayan_V8; 07-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    stock converter or aftermarket? will it hold lockup without burning out?

if it's stock, no point locking. if it's aftermarket depending on how much slip it might be worth it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    stock converter or aftermarket? will it hold lockup without burning out?

if it's stock, no point locking. if it's aftermarket depending on how much slip it might be worth it.
    Circle D 3200

Advanced Tuner
    the circle'd is generally pretty good. at least all mine have been and there has been little to no gains noticeable by locking over the 1/4 mile.

Tuner in Training
    the circle'd is generally pretty good. at least all mine have been and there has been little to no gains noticeable by locking over the 1/4 mile.
    That way i ask, my limit in street race it’s better to lockup the tcc gears ?
    Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    If you're N/A, I would leave it unlocked unless you're getting excessive slip. Do some logs with it unlocked and log TCC slip. Call Circle D and discuss the data with them, they can recommend either a re-stall to dial it in further, locking, or unlocking.

Locking will get you a better dyno number, but on the street or the track, you really just have to test and see what works better.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    If you're N/A, I would leave it unlocked unless you're getting excessive slip. Do some logs with it unlocked and log TCC slip. Call Circle D and discuss the data with them, they can recommend either a re-stall to dial it in further, locking, or unlocking.

Locking will get you a better dyno number, but on the street or the track, you really just have to test and see what works better.
    Hi
    Yup N/A and looking for Nitrous as soon possible
    True I think the dyno it’s different than the street, that why I open this post to see the difference experience
    Thanks for your advice

Advanced Tuner
    I usually only lock in 5-6 gear at highway speeds
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    I usually only lock in 5-6 gear at highway speeds
    Amazing!! so you mean your Tc always unlock right ?
    so we can say no body like to lock the 3rd and 4th in street race ?

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't lock at WOT in the lower gears unless there's excessive converter slip.

For cruising, I will lock in 4th, 5th, 6th.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Advanced Tuner
    i have both a blown & turbo setup with circle'd stalls.

i lock 3rd onwards in tapshift mode etc purely for traction purposes (& dyno tuning). If I let them go to stall I just bake the tyres.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    I wouldn't lock at WOT in the lower gears unless there's excessive converter slip.

For cruising, I will lock in 4th, 5th, 6th.
    I did like you
    Thanks for your advice

Tuner in Training
    i have both a blown & turbo setup with circle'd stalls.

i lock 3rd onwards in tapshift mode etc purely for traction purposes (& dyno tuning). If I let them go to stall I just bake the tyres.
    Thanks for your advice

Advanced Tuner
    Modern automatics with torque converters always lock whether at WOT or part throttle any gear after first. I think anytime it's not locked after first gear or at high rpm (where power is maximum) you are loosing power to the wheels. I think a lot of people would disagree but a unlocked converter always consumes more power than a locked one, modern ones not as much.

Advanced Tuner
    the entirely depends on the converter slip. the difference in speed between the impeller and turbine in the converter.

if slip is minimal then the power loss is also minimal over a locked TCC. letting an unlocked converter flare to its stall speed and hang there until the driveline catches up delivers far greater torque to the ground much fast. it gets the engine immediately into an appropriate power range RPM and transfers that torque multiplied to the transmission. locking the TCC doesn't allow the engine to flare into power RPM it bogs it down and makes it lazy like going WOT in a manual in too higher gear for road speed.

the trade off of minimal slip to let the RPM flare for outweighs 0 slip but a bogged down engine. Even more so with turbo cars. you want the slip to let the RPM flare and bring it on boost ASAP.

if the converter has excessive slip unlocked to the point it costs a notable amount of power its a piece of junk and you need a better one.

the TCC clutch is only so strong. big power, heavy car, engaging the TCC with large impeller/turbine speed difference can all torch it. if you fall into that category best best is to leave the TC unlocked full time.

converter lock up is a modern thing, its for fuel economy, volume and driver comfort. if you want grunt, and a car that gets up and goes you want the converter to flare to a point then work as an efficient fluid coupling with minimal slip.

ive seen decent hp drag cars with old school converters no lockup and power glides (1300rwhp) pick up 8mph over the traps by changing from a converter logging 25% slip to one that only logs 6%slip. but trying to lock a TCC in a car like that will just drive over it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lukearmstrong1990 View Post
    the entirely depends on the converter slip. the difference in speed between the impeller and turbine in the converter.

if slip is minimal then the power loss is also minimal over a locked TCC. letting an unlocked converter flare to its stall speed and hang there until the driveline catches up delivers far greater torque to the ground much fast. it gets the engine immediately into an appropriate power range RPM and transfers that torque multiplied to the transmission. locking the TCC doesn't allow the engine to flare into power RPM it bogs it down and makes it lazy like going WOT in a manual in too higher gear for road speed.

the trade off of minimal slip to let the RPM flare for outweighs 0 slip but a bogged down engine. Even more so with turbo cars. you want the slip to let the RPM flare and bring it on boost ASAP.

if the converter has excessive slip unlocked to the point it costs a notable amount of power its a piece of junk and you need a better one.

the TCC clutch is only so strong. big power, heavy car, engaging the TCC with large impeller/turbine speed difference can all torch it. if you fall into that category best best is to leave the TC unlocked full time.

converter lock up is a modern thing, its for fuel economy, volume and driver comfort. if you want grunt, and a car that gets up and goes you want the converter to flare to a point then work as an efficient fluid coupling with minimal slip.

ive seen decent hp drag cars with old school converters no lockup and power glides (1300rwhp) pick up 8mph over the traps by changing from a converter logging 25% slip to one that only logs 6%slip. but trying to lock a TCC in a car like that will just drive over it
    Thank you I get your point, but I was try by unlock TC ( single clutch circle D 278 mm ) and I have slip on all gear above 350 RPM !! I don't know if this step is regular by this TC ? I don't know this slip if not effect for my performance ! I called circle D they said I have to unlocked for WOT and they aren't recommended to lock in WOT maybe it will burn up
    kindly, look my log I tested before,, Note : the 4th gear is locked and no slip more than 10 RPM and I never test the 4th gear by locked after ask circle D

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rayan_V8; 07-25-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    Modern automatics with torque converters always lock whether at WOT or part throttle any gear after first. I think anytime it's not locked after first gear or at high rpm (where power is maximum) you are loosing power to the wheels. I think a lot of people would disagree but a unlocked converter always consumes more power than a locked one, modern ones not as much.
    Hi
    You mean the unlocked is less power than locked ?

Tuner in Training
    Any one has test at street or drag ? With unlocked 6-3% slip ?

2010 Camaro SS 781rwhp
    TKR Stage 4 CTSV 6L90
    Circle D 258mm 3400 3B Pro Series Multi Disk
    Kooks Ceramic LT's & full 3in exhaust
    TFS GenX 255's (Polished PAC .660's and Ti-Retainers)
    TSP VVT 3.2 cam
    Smith Bro's trunnion kit
    AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband Gauges
    FIC ID1300x Injectors
    ZL1 Fuel Pump
    DSX Flex Fuel Kit / Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit
    MM Camaro 5 Wild
    Holley Tall LS Valve Covers
    NGK Iridium IX #7
    HP Tuners MPVI2+
    ProCharger D1X @ 13psi

Tuner in Training