Thread: E38 Converting to Speed Density for Turbo Setup Questions

E38 Converting to Speed Density for Turbo Setup Questions

I'm new to HPT and I have a customers truck here that we are installing a single turbo setup on currently. I need to find some info to correctly switch to speed density. I have read the sticky to go into OS and select speed density air mode and Apply then write entire, then read the ecu again and start my base file from there. Correct me if I am wrong thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Just curious as to why you want to go full SD with a Gen4? The E38 with a MAF can make a ton of power. If you feel the need to go SD, do the normal MAF fail stuff, speed density patch you referred to above, and go on. If there is a Custom SD OS available, you can use that as well, though the VVE in the factory OS is plenty capable to do cover the fueling.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Well this kit that the customer purchased uses the MAF but you have to extend the harness and everything and I figured we would max out the MAF by 550whp on my mustang dyno so would need to eventually convert over to SD what you think?

Install the MAF in a larger diameter tube if you want to gain MAF resolution back.

That is the easiest way to do it. Guys with camaro's and CTSV's have been running 4 to 5in intake tubes so they can keep using the MAF.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    You can make well over 600 on a card style MAF with an E38

Okay I'm sure we will max out the stock 6l80 before 600whp on my mustang dyno

Advanced Tuner
    I think you may be surprised there as well. 6L80E can hold a lot if reported torque and tuning are on point.

Lol well the customer wants to push it until he is at a limit! Fuel system may be the limiter after all he is on 80lb Injectors with a Walbro 450lph intake Pump on E85.

He won't get far with 80's on E85 lol.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by High Speed Performance View Post
    Okay I'm sure we will max out the stock 6l80 before 600whp on my mustang dyno
    The 6l80e I rebuilt with Sonnax goodies for a 2010 L99 Camaro just laid down 604rwhp on e85 and 12psi. Stock bottom end and only valve springs up top.
    Keeping the shit pressures high, times low and up shift torque factor to chop spark during shifts should keep it alive. That and a huge cooler up front. The dex IV fluid is super thin, I can't imagine the 6l80's live happy lives above normal operating temperature.